Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

One carry-on bag rule imposed again, UK to US flights

Old Dec 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From today's London Telegraph, "Britons travelling to the US were told their hand baggage allowance had been reduced to one item following the terror alert.

In addition, all will undergo a second personal and hand luggage search before boarding their plane. The new guidelines, introduced at the request of the US Government, were given to all airlines operating from the UK following the failed attempt to blow up a Northwest Airlines flight from Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

Air passengers were limited to one piece of hand luggage in August 2006 following a previous bomb plot when the authorities also imposed a complete ban on taking liquids on board an aircraft.

Those restrictions were lifted and airlines have, for example, allowed women to take a handbag on board.

The reimposition of the one-bag rule will mean that passengers will have to check in more luggage than previously, and is likely to lead to delays.

A handful of US-bound flights from the UK departed up to an hour late this morning because of the additional security restrictions and knock-on delays."

This in reaction to the incident yesterday, Amsterdam to Detroit flight.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

More: 'A spokesman for BAA, which operates several airports including Heathrow, said: “The majority of air passengers will just go through airport security as normal. Previously, on US bound flights a certain proportion of passengers have been obliged to undergo a secondary search just before boarding their flight.

“What has changed is that this secondary search is now mandatory for all passengers. They - and their luggage - will be searched a second time at the gate by their airline.”

Futhermore, airlines have been asked to ensure that all passengers to the US have only one piece of hand luggage.

Passengers on all US bound flights have been advised to allow extra time for the new security measures. The BAA spokeswoman said: “To support this [extra security] process, which will take time, passengers should allow extra time to check in and limit the amount of hand baggage taken on to the plane. If they are in any doubt, they should contact their airline for further information.” '
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM

This is getting ridiculous!

We are told we should carry on all our prescription medicines (we're in our 70s) and other valuables due to bags getting lost or stolen, plus we need personal items for the overnight trip, and even food items depending on how awful the airline food is. Not to mention handbag, computer bag, etc. DH and I never find any of the movies worth watching, so we use books and Ipods for entertainment.

In the past we didn't carry on suitcases, but we needed 2 items for all the above stuff. So I guess now we will each take a suitcase as a carry-on. That means more competition for overhead space, and people will then unpack stuff after they get on the plane, while standing in the aisle and blocking other passengers from reaching their seats. And when we need something else we will have to get it down from the overhead and drop it on someone in the process.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM

I really don't understand why one bag is a problem. Just how much carry on do you need.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Perhaps you should have a try at re thinking just how much you need for a flight?

We travel to Europe regularly from Australia (and have done so for 35+ years), always check one suitcase each (a 22 inch one) and thus far have never had a problem with them being lost. Of course it will happen one day!

We each only have one carry on bag, in my case a Marimekko backpack with room for a small laptop and related attachments, a change of undies, a bag of cosmetics, a clear bag for liquids, a really good book,spare socks, undies, a merino long sleeve top and a t-shirt, a super light weight and very stylish jacket, prescription medicines for the entire time away, a small camera and my travel hand bag packed flat.
My husband is similar but he takes the cameras and camera gear.
Oops - and we both have those disposable hotel slippers , as well as an i pod - and this is for a 23+ hour flight!
I put in my favorite scarf for good measure.
And - of course a few nibbles as I am always hungry - although airline food from Australia is reasonably fine.
This is not a big pack, but all of the clothing is light and the cosmetics and medicines are light as well.

I am not a fan of frequent visits to the overhead lockers, so get sorted as quickly as possible - and often spend some of the time simply sitting and resting.

I am sure you can arrange things to make your trip as simple as possible - with a positive attitude -as we can't get cross over all these things or our travel will be spoilt -good luck.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not only do I manage to get all my electronics (camera, iPod, internet tablet, cell phone + chargers and cords) and pharmaceuticals, plus the 1 qt baggie, a change of undies and top, an inflatable pillow, nibbles, a water bottle, and guidebooks in one carry-on bag (backpack that is my day bag after I arrive), it fits under the seat in front of me. So I can board at my leisure instead of fighting for overhead space, and I don't have to get up to access the contents.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM

Thank you thursdays & love-travel-aus!! I was beginning to think I was the only one who thinks people just think they need to take way too much on board. One bag should be more than sufficient....
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 09:46 AM

"The reimposition of the one-bag rule will mean that passengers will have to check in more luggage than previously, and is likely to lead to delays."

It also means the airlines will get more income by charging those of us who check in more then one suitcase! (thank you, terrorists, for helping the corporations!)
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 10:03 AM

Why do you need more than one suitcase for regular trips. People who are not travelling to/from the US in other countries have survived with the one suitcase rule for years.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

thursdays, love-travel-Aus, jules39 - you must all be checking bags?

Some of us travel very lightly, with only a carry-on bag, for 2-3-4 weeks or more. (Last trip, October, 4 weeks, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, London. One carry-on.)

I never check a bag, haven't for years and don't intend to start now. In a couple of weeks I'm flying Portland-Seattle-London-Dubai-Cochin, straight through. What do you think the odds are that a checked bag will be lost, mis-directed or delayed somewhere along the route? Pretty high, I'd say.

Previously, I've been able to take one small carry-on plus a personal item, in my case a (very) small backpack for my camera and lenses. Except for when this happened before, a few years ago - do you remember when we couldn't take any personal belongings on the plane except a book and a small clear plastic bag for necessities like a wallet and pills?! That was a challenge! I wore several layers and bought what I needed when I got there.

So I guess I downsize my camera, take fewer lenses, less of everything in fact, so I can still get by with only a carry-on. Fortunately, where I'm going (India) will be plenty warm so I can take my lightest clothing. And hope that by May, when I'm off to Italy, things will improve.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM

As I mentioned - we do always check a small 22inch case - and thus far have not had a problem (over 35+ years). However - from what I read - I do think the chances of lost baggage seem to be higher for travelers from the USA and maybe that is because they have more complex routes - I am not sure.
The last few years we have mostly used Australia to HK or Tokyo or Shanghai to Helsinki to our European port - with no difficulties at all.
We also used the familiar Australia- Singapore - Frankfurt- then Vienna a few months ago - again no problems.

I am not wanting to carry on the allowed international size bag, and guess we have to hope we stay being lucky - otherwise we can manage that problem when the time comes.

One thing - we often have a longer stay in one our the Asian ports in one direction - but we have not traveled to the USA for many years so can't speak to that experience.

For lightness I love my merino Icebreaker tops - as I mentioned!

I guess we will all manage as things seem to change a lot and we get to adapt.

Happy travels...
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I check a bag - one, a carry-on-size convertible backpack. I travel with a Swiss army knife, a metal nail file and more liquids than are now allowed in carry-on. Plus I don't want to carry the bag round the terminal (even though it usually only weighs around 20 lbs.)

However, I try to avoid flights with connections. I'm retired, so I have more time than money, and usually plan stop-overs rather than connecting flights. I just came back from the Middle East with three night stops in Istanbul and New York.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM

However - from what I read - I do think the chances of lost baggage seem to be higher for travelers from the USA and maybe that is because they have more complex routes - I am not sure.

This is only true if you fly a European carrier. European carriers, in general, lose luggage at up to twice the rate of American carriers. Most American carriers are actually pretty good with luggage.

Lost bags happen, but the rates aren't terribly high. In the US, the airlines lose, on average, less than 1 bag for every 100 passengers. Even on the worse EU carriers, the rate is less than 2 for every 100 passengers.

Anyone that travels extensively will have their luggage mishandled at some point, but the likelihood of it happening on any particular trip aren't that high.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM

Between late 2007-2008, I had 5 instances of delayed luggage (AF/KL flights). Twice on the same trips but one of those trips I had IRROPS coming and going. I stopped checking bags in 2009 so if I have a choice, I'd definitely take a routing which allows me to have a second personal item vs one that does not.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks for explaining that travelgourmet.

I was only making my observation from all the comments about the fear of lost bags - not accusing American carriers - so I hope I didn't cause offence.

And - as I mentioned - we have been fortunate thus far - and we travel to Europe and Asia regularly - so no doubt our turn will come.

Here's hoping that the OP has a smooth trip!
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

travelgourmet - the odds you quote seem pretty darn high to me - 1% to 2% means that 3-6 passengers on my next 747 from Seattle to Heathrow have a good chance to lose their bags. And do those figures reflect only the bags that are indeed 'lost' or do they also include the bags delayed for a day or two (or three or four or ...)?

And yes, I know a lot about averages and chance, etc - I was an insurance underwriter in my younger days.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM

julia - Those numbers are for all mishandled bags. The number that actually lose their luggage is exceedingly low. Most of those that have their luggage mishandled receive it within 24-48 hours. And, who cares if 3-6 pax on your 747 flight lose their luggage? You still only have a 1% chance of losing yours.

But, yes, it is a matter of perspective. I just don't feel that the rates are so high as to warrant a hard-and-fast carry-on only rule, and that (especially considering that most folks get their bag on the next flight) the average flier would be just fine taking an extra pair of underwear and a fresh t-shirt.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I guess my perspective is clouded by experience, which tends to be the case when 'experience' happens to you.

An extra pair of underwear and a fresh t-shirt aren't much help when your bag takes 5 days to catch up with you as you're travelling by train from Nice to Rapallo to Florence to ...

Or your bag is lost between Barcelona and Madrid, and you're on your way to Segovia, and it's over a feast day so no one's doing things like delivering lost luggage, and you don't get your bag until you return to Madrid a week later.

Or (and this hasn't even been mentioned here but what about the problem of theft?) you arrive home, after reclaiming your checked bag from the carousel, go to unpack and discover that someone somewhere has broken into your bag, rifled through it, stolen the beautiful shawl you bought in Paris which is just the most perfect color for your daughter, and by the way, your lovely little silk undies are missing too.

Those 1% chances start adding up the more you travel.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM

Those 1% chances start adding up the more you travel.

Really? I fly in excess of 100k miles per year. I log at least 50 to 75 segments per year. I often connect. I routinely check luggage. I've had luggage delayed with at least 7 different carriers within the past 2 years, including one multi-day delay. Nonetheless, I still think people make too big a deal about it. Though, I must confess to never, ever, having anything stolen from my checked luggage.

Check, don't check. I genuinely don't care. But let's not make it sound like lost luggage is common, because it isn't. And let's not extrapolate from one bad experience when the reality is that most delayed luggage is delivered within a short period of time, your trip to Segovia, notwithstanding.