Smaller carry on bag sizes coming?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soon they’ll start charing you for every piece of clothing you wear.

From KOMO 4 News in Seattle

NEW YORK (AP) - Millions of fliers might soon want to buy new carry-on suitcases.

Global airlines announced Tuesday a new guideline that recommends shrinking carry-on bags, in an effort to free up space in packed overhead bins.

The guideline, which is not binding, means that many existing bags currently in compliance with airline rules would not be given preferential treatment in the boarding process. While details of how the guideline will be implemented are murky, and could vary from airline to airline, it raises the possibility that many fliers would be forced to check their favorite carry-on bag.

Fliers might either need to buy smaller suitcases or pay a fee to check their bags, typically $25 each way.

The recommendation by the International Air Transport Association suggests an "optimal" carry-on size at 21.5 inches tall by 13.5 inches wide by 7.5 inches deep. That's smaller than the current maximum size allowed by many airlines. For instance, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines all currently allow bags up to 22 inches by 14 inches by 9 inches - although gate agents don't always enforce those more-generous measurements.

Airlines around the globe have varying standards - different enough that a carry-on bag that is acceptable to one airline isn't allowed in the cabin of another. The airline trade group says the new guideline will not necessarily replace each airline's rules on bag size, but gives them a uniform measurement that "will help iron out inconsistencies."

Theoretically, if airlines follow this guideline "everyone should have a chance to store their carry-on bags on board aircraft of 120 seats or larger," the trade group said. Today, it's typical for the last 20 or so passengers to board to be forced to check their bags at the gate because the bins are already full.

Eight major international airlines will soon introduce the guideline into their operations. Chris Goater, a spokesman for the transport association, said they are: Air China, Avianca, Azul, Cathay Pacific, China Southern, Emirates, Lufthansa and Qatar.

"It's certainly not mandatory," Goater said.

No U.S. airlines have yet signed on, but Goater expects more carriers to quickly do so. The suggested size was just unveiled publicly Tuesday at a meeting of global airline CEOs in Miami.

Goater said the airlines are working with several large luggage manufacturers but none that can be disclosed publicly. Bags with new labels, designating them as "Cabin OK," are expected to be in stores by the end of the year.http://www.komonews.com/news/nationa...306673181.html
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 01:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the idea. Just because someone wants to carry on any bag they can force into the overhead, doesn't mean it should be allowed when it deprives others of stowing a smaller bag. I happen to like to check my main bag, even though I could, in theory, carry it on. What I do carry on is a day pack and if everyone took less on, we'd all have more space, not to mention an easier & shorter boarding process. I, for one, vote for the smaller bag allowance.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 01:45 PM

I just wish the airlines would enforce the rules they have. It seems that every flight I've ever been on has lots of people with huge bags, and lots of people with a big purse AND a big carry-on AND a tote bag.

Last week I was on a flight with a man who had a huge 3-piece carry-on thing that could never have fitted in the measurer thing they have at the gate. It was a huge duffle bag with smaller bags attached. When he got on, he unhooked all the pieces and stowed his THREE (count 'em THREE) bags in the overhead, while everyone behind him waited while he walked up and down and finally found space to stow them all.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 08:28 PM

<<Celia on Jun 9, 15 at 2:45pm
I just wish the airlines would enforce the rules they have.>>

True enough -- in my latest experience (on AF) the lady next to me in the middle seat had her rollerbag on the floor next to her.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 03:11 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...n-luggage.html

To put this into context this is smaller than the current Ryanair cabin baggage sizing, so a lot of people will be having to buy new cases if they want to travel without checked luggage. The upside is it (allegedly) means there will be room for everyone's case in the cabin even if the plane is full.

It is apparently the 5th change in less than 15 years - That's a lot spent on new luggage, potentially replacing old bags and cases that are really not that 'old' at all and still perfectly serviceable, and that in itself is not terribly environmentally friendly.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 07:19 AM

Another example of airlines getting better and better at filling their coffers.

Currently, they've solved the problem of overstuffed overheads by offering free luggage check at the gate. I don't think I've been on a flight in the last two or three years that that "service" hasn't been offered, at no charge, in the name of pushing away from the gate on time.

By changing the allowed size of carryons, they clearly intend to capture the fees they're losing by doing that.

My bag is plenty small enough to fit now, but I don't know if it will under the new guidelines, if they're adopted. I really hate to check a bag, but you can;t fight city hall. Or the airlines.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always check my bigger bag, even though it meets the current US guidelines, and my carry on fits under the seat in front of me, so I never have to fight for bin space. It is none-the-less annoying that the airlines don't enforce their own guidelines as it holds up boarding.

I though the current limit on many European airlines was below the new guidelines?
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 09:43 AM

I;ve found boarding to be very smooth of late--meaning, for the last year or two. It used to be chaotic, but two things happened: passengers figured out the drill, slowly but surely, and learned to either check their bags or carry ones that will fit; and airlines learned to offer free luggage check so that passengers having second thoughts about carry on had an exit strategy they could live with.

I have seen fewer and fewer people attempting to carry on ginormous bags, and I can't recall the last time a passenger failed to find room for a bag on board. This is on packed flights, too (aren't they all?).

My point being that this whining about people and their huge bags is both out of date and beside the point. The airlines know how much time to allow for boarding, because they care a LOT about on time departures.

This change of allowed bag size has nothing to do with that.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"My point being that this whining about people and their huge bags..."

whine (hwin) vi. whined, whin'ing: a differing opinion.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 11:16 AM

If they really wanted to speed up boarding, they'd charge for carry-on bags and let checked ones go free.

The airline industry seems to be trying for the title of "Industry that Hates its Customers the Most".
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Except that airlines reaped record profits last year and are on track to exceed them this year. So...what was your point, again?
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
<i>Goater said the airlines are working with several large luggage manufacturers but none that can be disclosed publicly. </i>

That can't have anything to do with it, ... can it?
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 01:35 AM

I wish that the airlines would uniformly enforce their carry-on policies.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 01:26 PM

So I'm not a math major, but if the size of the overhead bins is not changing along with the size of the luggage, what good will it do to have an extra 1.5 inches of available space in an overhead bin? (The most common ones I see seem to accommodate three of the 22" carryon allowed today; make those 13.5" wide instead of 14", and you get 1.5" more.) Am I missing something obvious? Besides that the luggage guys want to make money?
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 12:56 PM

When the bags are smaller, they can go feet first, not sideways, if that makes sense. I've been using an "international sized" rolling carryon for years. I think it's less than 20 inches tall including the handle, etc. And the personal item is under the seat in front.

Nothing more annoying than the person with the giant duffle bag, the coat, the tote, the backpack and they all need to go in the overhead bin.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:03 PM

I was talking about bag width. But even looking at the different dimensions depth-wise, I doubt that 1/2 inch will help a bag fit in an overhead bin. A 22" bag already fits into an overhead bin wheels first; I have one, and it fits. What won't fit is a bag that's been expanded so it exceeds the height limit.

But agreed on the jerks who put all of their items in the overhead so they can enjoy legroom while the rest of us can't.
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 02:05 PM

Well, I'm with those above who said the size of the allowed carry-on baggage is not enforced now anyway. I see many people with bags that I'm amazed have gotten past the flight attendants.

Celia "If they really wanted to speed up boarding, they'd charge for carry-on bags and let checked ones go free." Great, great idea!