Search

2 carry-ons?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 carry-ons?

Hi everyone -- I'm hoping for some quick replies as I'm leaving tomorrow. United website says that I'm allowed one carry-on and one personal item. I've got a 20"-22" (can't remember the exact size) wheeled carry-on and I was planning to take a small satchel (dimensions: 11 x 18 x 10.5 inches) as my personal item. Will this be alright? Or will the airline consider this as two carry-ons?

Thank you! Thank you!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
yk

I think you'll be ok, as I frequently see people carrying similar items as you on the flight. It also depends on how full your flight will be. Sometime if the plane is completely packed, the agents are more vigilent in limiting carry-on luggage. Of course, if you are an elite member of UA and get to board the plane first, I am pretty confident you won't have any problem.

The key is whether you can find storage space for your rollaboard in the overhead bins on the plane.
I guess the worst case scenario is that they make you check your rollaboard.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:23 PM
Sunnyboy

There's no firm answer to your question. A lot will depend on how crowded the flight is and how alert the Gate Agent and Flight Attendants are when you board. Your wheeled roll-on obviously will count as your "carry-on" and has to fit in the overhead bin. A personal item usually means a women's pocketbook, lap-top case, camera bag, small duffel bag, small back-pack or other similar sized item. Your satchel is pushing the upper limits in size and is technically a carry-on as the personal item is suppose to go under the seat in front of you rather than the overhead bin. That said, there is a good chance no one will notice or say anything but you have to be prepared to "gate check" one of your carry-ons if the Gate Agent or FA decides to make an issue out of the size of your second bag.

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
Cassandra

You don't mention whether you are traveling domestically or internationally. I guarantee a gatecheck for the rollaboard if you are traveling on a regional jet. And they can get persnickety on the international flights, too.

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The man at the luggage store where I bought the satchel said that it would be accepted as my "personal item", but I'm still skeptical. btw, we're flying to Thailand.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:51 PM

>The man at the luggage store .. said ...

<snicker>
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:47 AM

I think it depends on the aircraft taken. An MD-80 has a much smaller luggage space than a 737. If it is a bigger aircraft a pilot case would fit just fine in the overhead bin.

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Yes, it will be ok.