Why don't airlines?

Search

Why don't airlines?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't airlines?

Why don't airlines put children in same area of aircraft so those of us travelling without children can enjoy the flight without being kicked in the back of your seat,crying and whining during the flight.That way the children can also play together.
Opinions?If we get enough maybe we can forward them to airlines.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Two reasons I can think of - first, they can't really play with each other since they are supposed to be seat-belted in.

Second - those of us who prevent our kids from being obnoxious on flights (talking about kids - not infants) do not want to sit near someone elses uncontrolled brats.
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:50 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but when passengers make reservations, how does an airline know how old that passenger is?
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:54 AM

<i><font color="blue">Why don't airlines...</font></i>

...with regard to &quot;meal&quot; service tell passengers (at the time of booking) inform passengers what comprises that &quot;snack&quot; or what's contained in that &quot;bistro bag&quot;?

I don't expect them to go to the level of &quot;turkey on dry roll w/individual mayo&quot; but they could certainly tell you what's included, like &quot;small sandwich, one grape, one cookie, 1/2 can of soft drink etc. etc.&quot;

Then, at least, passengers would be able to make their own, somewhat better informed decision as to bringing their own food on board.
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:48 AM

I wouldn't mind sitting with other parents although my children are now older anyway. I had the experience on a flight of a rude passenger that kept sneering at me because my 1 month old son had been crying during take-off. I was trying to comfort him and kept looking at her as if to say I'm really sorry. She continued to shoot nasty looks my way even after my son was asleep. I couldn't contain myself anymore and just had to tell her off. So I said, &quot;I'm sorry to cause you any inconvience, but you do realize that we aren't at the opera. I chose to fly because I didn't think it would be fun to drive 2000 miles so that my child could meet his family. I will try everything I know to do to stop his crying because it isn't exactly what I want to hear either, but it will probably happen again as we land because of the pressure&quot;. She didn't turn my way again. And another passenger even thanked me.
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:52 PM

oops! inconvenience
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:54 AM

I can't for the life of me see why someone would take a 1 month old on a long flight unless it was a dire emergency. Have some respect for your fellow passengers, no one blames the child, its the parent who brought the child onboard. Anyone would know that a 1 month old would cry and fuss the whole trip unless they sleep.Not everyone thinks everything the little one does is so cute, only the parents,gps. To bad there are not adult only flights just like no smoking flights.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:55 AM

I'm going to skip the child debate, but on food service, why don't airlines follow the KISS approach instead of trying to give us very bad food with fancy names? Our two best economy class flight meals were on Virgin (in the 1980s)--they served a good portion of cold chicken fingers (and the chicken actually tasted like chicken), a decent salad, and a nice dessert. Simple and actually worth eating. On an AF flight from SF to Paris, there was some kind of food service worker strike, so instead of a hot meal, we had nice slices of pate, fresh, warm French bread, salad, and a terrific raspberry mousse cake. I'd much rather have a simple meal with some quality in the ingredients than something with a fancy, expensive name, but cheap ingredients and sauce packed with sodium and artificial flavors.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM

When our children were small, we flew with them because that was the only way to get to family members spread out across the country, and it was very important to us for them to see the family.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:59 AM

You tell 'em Abram!
My husband is in the Air Force. We are now in Montana, but our families are in Tennessee and Florida. It just wasn't realistic for all of our family to travel 2000 miles to meet our baby so I flew south and stayed a month and a half. My son was 3 months old on the return flight if that makes any difference to you buckspc.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:18 PM
droolpatrol

I think the original poster has a great idea. I have often wondered about that myself.

I have a newborn that I won't be taking flying anytime soon -- remember, babies immune systems are weak and goodness only knows what kind of germs are floating around the plane. When I begin taking my child on flights, I plan to bring along extra sets of brand-new earplugs to pass around to those near me, should there be crying. They cost 99 cents to $1.99 -- where else can goodwill be bought so cheaply?

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:00 PM

I would rather see them put all of those people who insist on reclining their seats from takeoff to touchdown in one section of the plane. I've notice that it's usually people who aren't traveling with children.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:19 AM

It is arrogant and self-centered to suggest that children should be relegated to special sections of the airplane. We're all alive, and part of the same species. Tollerating children should seem no more inconvenient than tollerating someone eating. It's all part of life. Try to attiain a sense of perspective, and thereby learn a little tolerance. It might even be that others are being tolerant of you. Furthermore, someone suggested that parents are to blame for taking children on a plane. Perhaps adults who are intolerant of children should be the ones to stay off of airplanes. It's your problem, not anyone else's.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:59 AM

i357, I love you! My thoughts exactly
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:41 AM

I think airlines do put people with kids in the same area, at least so have I noticed. And I honestly don't mind sitting near kids; most(not all) do well on flights. I have two kids who have flown all their lives and I do MY DARNDEST to make sure they don't kick the seat in front of them and don't pull down the seat. Why do people like us fly with kids? Because grandma doesn't fly and wants to see them and we are suckers.
MY pet peeve is adults, who should know better, who behave poorly. Just last week I sat behind a young woman who had her seat back the whole time and I couldn't get out of my (aisle) seat. The guy behind me was VERY large and had asked me not to recline my seat (which I never do anyway). I asked the woman in front to put her seat up so I could get up to let. She had a fit! She also cleaned her ears constantly. Totally gross.
By the way, the best way to sleep...cross your feet at the ankles. Cross your arms across your chest. Buy a lumbar pillow with valves (Eagles Creek?) and a neck donut with valves and relax. You'll sleep much better sitting straight.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:42 AM

Airline food - the safest bet is to work on the basis that the airline food will be insufficient and inedible. i.e. Have an adequate meal before getting on the plane. I've yet to have an meal in a plane that was really worth waiting for.

As for kids on plane - people have to travel and I've seen plenty of awful behaviour from adults on planes (Children don't tend to get air rage). The only time I get a bit rattled is on the long overnighters, a young child crying or tapping you on the head for 8 hours when you're attempting to sleep can be trying, but for me it only becomes annoying when the parents aren't making any attempts to pacify their children.

It did occur to me recently when I was flying back overnight to London from Hong Kong recently that in the space of about 90 minutes 5 planes left Hong Kong for Heathrow, with BA and Cathay each having 2 flights within 30 mins of one another. The airlines could charge a slight premium for the one flight and make it a sleeper's flight - i.e. No toddlers and lights out straight after take off, rather than having to wait for the drinks service, meal delivery, tray clear-up and duty free trolley.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:45 AM

I say kick the seat in front of you of the ignorant b---ch who is reclining back into your lap - I'd do that - no one is that special the Princess needed a wake up call the whole flight time.

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Singapore Airlines, in the days before the seat back video, used to ask all economy passengers to recline their seats so that people could watch the movie!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Stephanie, what do you imagine is the reason that seats are made to recline? Do you believe that seats should all be made to remain in the fixed upright position?