Search

Sansa Baggage Limits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sansa Baggage Limits

We leave for the Osa Peninsula on Thursday. I am soooo excited!

We'll be flying Sansa from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez and back to San Jose from Golfito.
My question is regarding the baggage limits. How strictly do they adhere to the limits?

We are carrying quite a bit of photo equipment and don't mind paying the extra charge for weight but wouldn't be able to not have the bags go on the same flight that we are on.

I've emailed them a couple of times but no response. I tried calling once, maybe I will be able to get through on Monday.

We were just in Botswanna in Aug. and their regional flights had similar restrictions but there was never any problem with our excess.

Thanks for your advise.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 08:27 PM

It really, really depends. If the flight is full sometimes they won't take any of your luggage, let alone overweight, they'll put it on a later flight. Other times I've seen people over and no problems. It really just hinges on how full the flight is, how heavy those passengers & their luggage are and how much wiggle room they have left. When you see the little planes you will see it really is for safety's sake. I would hope for a not full flight.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM

I totally agree with tully. It's really completely random and depends upon how full/heavy the plane is. On our flight, a girl was told she couldn't even bring her regular bag on even though it only weighed 19 pounds. She had a big fit, and they finally relented. Our luggage weighed more than hers, plus I had a bag full of books and my camera plus my purse, and they didn't say a word to me. They'll ask your weight and then weigh your luggage. It's really anybody's guess.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Just got back from 2 weeks in CR & did 2 Sansa flights. They weigh you together w/all your luggage on a scale. Then they add all pax+luggage weight together to see if it's a "go." Would you want to fly on an overweight flight over the mountains???
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Our setup was a little different - they didn't weigh anyone, just their baggage. They did verbally ask for our weights, but who knows if people know their correct weight or are honest if they do. On our plane, they proclaimed one girl to have the heaviest bag and told her it wasn't going on the plane. Meanwhile other people, who were larger and had bigger bags got their stuff on the plane. I thought it was interesting that after her fit, they let her bring it - I thought they were really interested in our safety, but when they gave in, it seemed like all of that went out the window. I think they just didn't want to deal with her.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you volcanogirl & tully for your answers. It's kind of how I thought it might be.

I think we might fly down and send our baggage by driver as we don't want to chance it.

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM

How interesting. I posted my recent experience to be helpful, but volcangirl & tully were thanked. If we have our talk forum "rock stars," there's no need for the rest of us to post.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM

I'm sure it was just an oversight. This forum thrives on the contributions from everyone.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you looknsee. The details of your experience were helpful.

We'll try to post some pictures when we get back for everyone to share.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Me too; I'm sure no offense was intended.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM

j, we would all love to see your pictures when you get back. Hope you have a smooth flight and get to take all your stuff!
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to get back to everyone incase this might be helpful to others.

I did get in touch with Sansa and it was suggested that we buy a seat on the plane for the equipment to assure that it would fly with us.

I should have thought of that.

Thanks to all for your help.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Hope you'll share photos with us after you return! Sounds like you must have some super equipment to buy a seat for it.

Looking forward to some awesome photos.