- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lubec is one of the first places in the United States to see the sunrise. A popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, it offers plenty of opportunities for hiking and biking, and the birding is renowned. It's a good base for day trips to New Brunswick's Campobello Island, reached by a bridge—the only one to the island—from downtown Lubec. The main attraction there, Roosevelt Campobello International Park, operates a visitor center that also provides information about the region generally on the U.S. side of the border. It's in Whiting at the corner of U.S. 1 and Route 189, the road to Lubec. The village is perched at the end of a narrow strip of land at the end of Route 189, so you often can see water in three directions in this special off-the-beaten-path place.
Lubec at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Way Down East
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's