- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
You could hike and ski for days in the area around Saariselka without seeing another soul. The town has many hotels and is a good central base from which to set off on a trip into the true wilderness. Marked trails traverse forests and moors, where little has changed since the last Ice Age. The town of Tankavaara, 40 km (25 mi) south of Saariselka, is the most accessible and the best developed of several gold-panning areas.
Saariselka at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's