Detroit vs Cleveland Ohio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to visit 3-5 days from Toronto by Car with my family. What is the best place to visit Detroit OR Cleveland Ohio for vacation. Is 3-5 days are OK or need to cut days. If I use tolls to short distance then how much approx will cost me. The tolls hwy in Canada is very expensive. I am interested in sight seeing & shopping and any good places .Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by dwatson; Nov 8th, 2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Forum Moderator

Deleted 16 state tags
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 11:16 AM

Can you explain what you mean when you say you are interested in shopping? What is the goal exactly, something special you can't buy at home or what? Because those are really not cities you go to for some special shopping trip. Most places aren't, actually, I never understand that If you want to buy a lot of ordinary stuff because you think it is cheaper in the US (don't know if that's true for Canada or not), then I guess it doesn't matter if you are just going to some chain big box store.

I was raised in Cleveland and of course they have that Rock and Roll Hall of fame, and a good art museum and excellent symphony.

I haven't been to Detroit area since a kid, I know they have auto-business related stuff (museums, Deerfield Village).

To be honest, I wouldn't spend 5 days in either of them. I"d probably choose Cleveland, and if you go that direction, there are other things you could visit (like the new comedy museum in Jamestown NY or even Pittsburgh. If you are in the summer, you could do something on the lake near Cleveland, like Put-in-Bay or something. Ohio doesn't have any toll roads that I know of except the turnpike that runs just south of Toledo and Cleveland over to Youngstown where you wouldn't be. It does go on to Pittsburgh, though, if you did go there. Detroit has some toll roads around it but I don't know specifics.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 06:31 PM
J62

Maybe they have been convinced that a 5 day trip to Buffalo mid to late November (starting 11/18) isn't the right thing to do, and now they're looking at other options like Detroit or Cleveland.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 02:55 PM

I am from Detroit and I don't think that I would plan a shopping trip to Detroit unless you are in the market for a Shinola watch. However, you may be able to purchase those elsewhere by now.

Detroit does have many auto related attractions such as the Rouge Plant. The Henry Ford Museum has items from the auto industry and other historical events that happened in Michigan and other states. Most noted is the bus in which Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat and the chair that Lincoln was killed in. Next to the Museum is Greenfield Village, not Deerfield Village. In the Village, various buildings represent moments in history. Detroit also has a wonderful art museum, The Detroit Institute of Arts and many buildings of architectural significance.