Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Northeast Ohio / Cleveland Ohio residents: what fun activities do you like to do in the winter?

Search

Northeast Ohio / Cleveland Ohio residents: what fun activities do you like to do in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be having a visitor from Scotland this December/January and am trying to plan activities and places to visit when they are here. They have been here in the summer...when there's lots to do. I'm having a hard time thinking up ideas for winter. What are your favorite places, activities, or restaurants?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:21 AM

Do they ski? If so, you could take them to Boston Mills-Brandywine. Also, there is cross-country skiing at many of metro parks. You can also take them ice skating or tobagganning. Look at this link for some locations of the above:

http://www.clemetparks.com/recreation/winter.html

You could also take them to a Cav's game at Gund Arena? That is something they can't get at home!!

There are a lot of museums downtown open in the winter.

How about a play? Rent is playing through November 04.

Of course, you can always hit one of the malls for them to find gifts to take back home. Enjoy. I hope this helps a little.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Those were some nice ideas, thanks!

Rent is playing through November 04? Maybe you meant Jan 04, that's what I thought? I have seen it twice already though!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:43 PM

If they're not too old, they might like the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Crazieladybug-You could drive down to Amish country and stay at a b&b or try ice fishing around the Lake Erie Islands. There are some places actually open on South Bass Island in the winter. I think you fly out of Sandusky or Port Clinton to get there.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:52 PM

Winter is high season for cow-tipping.There is also the erie county bowling championship. Great reataurants include Wendys,Bob Evans,Shoneys. Winter is common for lake effect snow so snowshoeing could a possibility.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 02:15 PM

My recommendations aren't exactly extraordinary, but I think will provide a good time during those chilly months:

University Circle
A Cleveland Orchestra concert at magnificent Severance Hall is at once a Cleveland, American, and international experience. The Cleveland Museum of Art is one of the country's best, with an interesting Armor Court. Finally, you all will enjoy the steamy surroundings of the Cleveland Botanical Garden. Finally, there's Frank Gehry's unothordox Peter B. Lewis Building, Case Western Reserve's business school. All are near each other.

Shaker Square
One of the country's first planned shopping centers. I recommend getting there by RTA Green Line. Your party can be warmed by two "hot" restaurants: Phil the Fire, a soul food place, and fire food and drink, which serves innovative seasonal American cuisine. A cinema, clothing shops, and Joseph Beth Booksellers give you much else to do.

Playhouse Square
If your friend hasn't been to NYC, they may still be able to say they saw the Rockettes, because the high-kicking group usually performs several shows around Christmastime. There are other shows; I particularly recommend Second City, the Saturday Night Live-feeding group -- although the humor can be inherently American and local. For dinner, there's Otto Moser's, Star, the Hanna Restaurant, and Pickwick and Frolic on Fourth Street.

North Coast District
It may be cold, but I second recommendations for the museums here -- Great Lakes Science Center and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There may be some Browns games, and the view of the Cleveland skyline and Lake Erie is still great.

Have fun in your decision, and tell us how it went!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Yes, I'm sorry, I read the dates wrong on Rent, it's though 1/11/04.