Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for spending the last day in Kauai waiting for the late night flight out

Search

Recommendations for spending the last day in Kauai waiting for the late night flight out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:40 AM
dcd
Original Poster

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts

We're thinking of going to Kauai for the last week in Sept and staying on the northern shore near Princeville. We've never been to Kauai. The departing flights all leave late in the evening. The place we've picked out to stay has a 10 am checkout time. For those of you who have faced the same situation, how did you spend that last day and do you wish you'd been able to shower before boarding the plane for a 12 hour flight home? If we held off visiting the Canyon for the last day, I suppose that would work but if the weather is bad, we will have missed our chance to see it and that's a risk we're not interested in taking. If we go for a long hike or two or lay out on a beach, I think we'd need a shower. We'd appreciate any bits of advice. Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We always pay for the last day of our Hawaii trips (i.e., as if we were staying for the night). I like to have a place to be and, you're right, a place to shower. That said, we usually stay at really inexpensive places-($100-$150/night) and we just consider it part of the cost of the vacation.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Depending on where you are staying, a number of hotels have "courtesy suites" which you can use to shower before you leave for the airport. I'd ask your hotel about it.
Debi
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Kal

Yeah...what Debit said!

I thought there was a similar thread a year or so ago about this where some No Shore Hotels/condos have some sort of connections with hotels closer to Lihue for this very thing??

Maybe use Priceline/Lihue and lowball them?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:55 AM
dcd
Original Poster

Thanx for the replies. We'd probably be renting a home. Our options there are to leave a day early (Friday) and have the whole day in the home because no one will be renting it that day or to leave Saturday but be out by 10 am, meaning we'd have 10 hours to spend before our flight departs. Ideally, we'd prefer to leave Saturday so long as we won't be smelling like the big dogs when we board.....
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:18 AM

<<For those of you who have faced the same situation, how did you spend that last day and do you wish you'd been able to shower before boarding the plane for a 12 hour flight home?>>

We paid for the extra day and were *very* glad not to have to lug our baggage around in our rental car (and not feel safe about it), and just as glad to take a shower before getting on hours of plane rides.

Liz
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Have you already booked your airfare? Because we are going in Sep. on Hawaiian and they have a flight that leaves Lihue about 10:55 and then change in Honolulu for return (in our case to LAX)midday.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:27 PM
lvk

Although not an ideal solution, some of the beach parks have showers if you want to rinse off and put on fresh clothing before your flight.

A more expensive, but enjoyable, option would be to schedule a treatment at one of the hotel spas (Marriott, Hyatt) late in the day. That way, you could get a nice massage and then use their facilities to shower and change. You could then head out for a nice dinner before heading to the airport.

Better to enjoy an extra day on Kaua`i, than to head back to reality one day early. . Have a nice trip.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM

We recently returned from our trip to Hawaii. Spent the week on Oahu. Stayed at the HHV. Checkout was 11am, they stored our luggage and gave us a courtesy rooom to shower and freshen up before our late flight of 11pm. We took an all day tour of the island from 7:30am - 5:30pm. What a way to spend our last day, enjoying all the beautiful scenery!
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM

We moved from our condo to a resort w/spa for our last night, then scheduled a spa treatment for mid-afternoon, spending the day relaxing by the pool there. Showered late afternoon, had an early dinner, then left for the airport. Sounds like you should move to a resort on Saturday and return home on Sunday!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:22 PM
dcd
Original Poster

Thanx for all your replies. You've given us some good ideas. Dave
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:33 PM
iceeu2

ok, dave, now if you have 10 hours...then your flight must leave around 8 p.m.........Which means you might want to be at the airport by 6 pm..........now we are down to 8 hours. And, btw, the Lihue airport is fun and you meet some neat people and by that time of day, the leis are marked down to practically nothing.

Anyway, we are down to only 8 hours. So, we usually spend the day just riding and looking at our favorite places and/or wondering why we didn't go to that place or this....

We have a leisurely late lunch somewhere in Lihue..usually The BBQ Inn or Duke's.......and we stroll around Kalapaki Beach and the Marriott (it's so close to the airport) and just kick back. I've even fallen asleep at The Marriott on those comfy couches.

Aloha...........i'2