Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown Island Air? Leaving for Kauai tomorrow!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving tomorrow on a 12:00 pm flight out of Newark on American Airlines. We board another AA flight in LAX for Honolulu. Then Island Air to Kauai. Did I mention that I have a fear of flying and I haven,t flown in 20 years? (I am not kidding) The plane I am really worried about is the Island Air one. It sounds tiny. I didn,t get anything from the doctor to calm me down, Iam just taking Bonine for motion sickness. Any advice?
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 03:17 PM

Well gooooooood times jinxiejo!!!!!!!!!!

Just know that you are not alone on that flight. Me and mrlou and kal and mrskal, iamq, icee2, makai1....hell the whole gang will be on the flight with you...in our underwear? Picture that, and you'll be laughing the whole way! much to our shagrin!!!

There couldn't be more supporters out there applauding you for overcoming your fear of flights. Sure I'm speaking for a group of strangers. Just wish I could greet you at LIH with a lei and a cocktail. You'll be fine, and will have the time of your life!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 03:45 PM
iceeu2

jinxiejo...now that picture you have of all us in our underwear on that flight with you.....just think of that and you will be fine...g'lou certainly made me laugh.

You notice how much funnier she gets as time gets closer to going to that nothing of an island? One of the Kauai Komedians!

Have fun jinxiejo....you will be fine!

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 03:57 PM

Hi. We took Island Air from Kauai to Maui. You will not be on a 747, they are small planes, but we were fine, and I know you will be, too.

I understand your fear - but remember, you are heading to Kauai!! That's worth a flight on a small plane!!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 04:30 PM

Aloha Jinxiejo

I just got back from a month in Hawaii. It was the first time in a long time that I did not stop off in CA first.

I got the direct from Newark to Honolulu. Only did this because my sister was on the flight going. She stopped off in LA on return. I REGRET NOT DOING THE SAME. Up until 3 for the second night in a row last night and Monday is a work day. Not sure how I will handle getting up at 7am instead of 1PM.

Stop off in LA is the best way to visit Kauai from Newark unless you are in hurry. You can as I am going to readjust with any schedule. Never a reason not to go!

9PM is dinner time on my scedule...LOL gotta have more discipline about waking upon return if you are not stopping off on return.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

You guys are the best!! I feel better already knowing you guys are thinking about me. I already have a picture in my head of a group of underwear clad men and women with leis on holding drinks waving goodbye to me. That image and all your kind words will help me get thru tomorrow. Thank you everyone!!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:53 PM

We flew Island Air from the Big Island to Maui 3 weeks ago for the first time. I loved the direct flight. The planes are small, about 37 passengers, I beleive. We had no problems at all, loved our flight attendant, who made us all laugh. My favorite part was my kids and I having no ear pressure problems, because you get to fly at a lower altitude than the larger planes. Sit back, enjoy the beautiful view! It's a quick flight!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:16 AM
iceeu2

jinxiejo.....hope you see this before you leave..be sure to stop by the Happy Talk Lounge on August 2nd for the fodorite gathering at 5:30 p.m. Look for the balloon!

AuntieMaria, Iamq, and RichinPa will and their SO's will definitely be there waiting for you!

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 06:58 AM
Kal

I hear Island Air has an "underwear option" section. You'll find me there sipping on a WARM drink and praying for no turbulance.