Search

Yellowstone Weather

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone Weather

We are leaving for Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons toward the end of this month. When I check weather.com for Yellowstone to see what the weather's been like, it's been mostly in the 60's, sometimes lower than that. But when I check the weather for Gardiner, right outside the park, where we'll be staying for part of the time, it's the high 70's or even the low 80's. Can anyone tell me what to expect so I know how to pack?
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Cool nights and mornings and warm afternoons.

You'll want to bring a jacket for the early mornings and the evenings; it really cools off when the sun goes down.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Hopefully this link will help:

http://www.us.national-parks.net/weather.htm

It looks like you could expect days anwhere from 55 to 70 F and nights from 30 to 45 F. Bring some fleece but don't forget shorts...

We went in early to mid Sept. '06 and brought all kinds of warm clothes It turned out that there was and 'Indian Summer" going on so we didn't have enough warm weather clothes. Better to be prepared for the cold though.

Here's some pictures from that trip to get you fired up. I think all Americans should visit Yellowstone...our first National Park. Amazing!!!!

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/yellowstone_06
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM

"Cool nights and warm days" is a good GENERAL description. And, I emphasize the word "general." I still remember one of our trips there in early September, when it was cold/cool enough for a 7 a.m. float trip that I wore gloves; by mid-afternoon on the same day, I was in shorts and a tee shirt!
On that same trip, we wore shorts almost every day, and we had snow on September 10, the day we left.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Howard, I live in MT, and we never travel without winter coats in our car (all year).
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Be ready for all types of weather. We just got back from staying in Gardiner and visitng Yellowstone. One morning (sunrise) in Gardiner it was 45 degrees and dropped to 30 degrees as we drove from Mammoth to the Tower area. By the noon it was high 70's. If hiking, always pack a rainjacket or poncho. We were hiking the hoodoos and it went from sunny and hot(around 80 deg) to around 60 degrees with pea size hail within 30 mins. It of course cleared up and was sunny again by early evening.

I know it makes packing challenging but it is best to be prepared. It may be even colder and more unpredictable when you are there.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Definitely be prepared for anything. One of my office mates just got back from Yellowstone and said it was 31F one morning in Jackson, but they also had a couple of days in low 80s.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:55 AM

I have seen wet snow and morning frost during the summer months. Expect even cooler WX in September.

Be prepared!
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Was there the end of Sep. last yr and weather was perfect. At night it would get down enough to put a bit of frost on the car windows but by 10a.m. most days we had the top down.
tmsgt