Search

Yellowstone in September

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone in September

Hi all,

I've been to Yellowstone many times since 1974 but it's always been in the spring or summer. DH is talking about going back again this fall. What is Yellowstone like in early September. We will be camping in a motorhome but will have our Jeep in tow.

Thanks in advance.

Utahtea

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 03:43 AM

We did an early September trip to Yellowstone last year and don't regret it at all. The nights will be chilly, and maybe even frosty, but early afternoons were warm enough to swim in the Firehole.

We never had a problem with traffic and crowds at the major attractions were much diminished. Some of the minor attractions and picnic spots we had all to ourselves.

Just pack a down quilt or two in the motorhome and you'll have a great time.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 04:06 AM

utahtea,
We did our 2006 YNP trip in early Sept; arrived just after Labor Day and stayed about 10 days. The weather in YNP was perfect - warm days in the 70's & even low 80's; nights in the 50's. We had been checking the weather before arriving and it was forecasted to be pretty cold - nights in the 30's so we brought a lot of warm clothing and of course, it was shorts weather during the day and I only brought 1 pair but it worked out fine. We had a few thunderstorms and on the way back to SLC, we ran into nasty weather including snow and wind. But it was a great trip.

We also had amazing wildlife sightings including the rutting elk which were incredibly amusing, especially in Mammoth. Lots of black and griz, wolves, bighorn...you name it, we saw it!
And the only place that was crowded was the Canyon area - everywhere else seemed relatively quiet.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Hello utahtea

We LOVE Yellowstone in September. We were there last year and will be again this year, although we go mid to late in the month.

The elk are in rut in the fall, so you should have some chances for hearing them call their beauties! And the bison are also pairing up (quite a site to see those male bison follow their gals around). Last year we even saw a young'un still nursing from its mother (although the ranger said it was born so late that she doubted it would survive the winter, being so young so late in the season).

Bring a coat (I even had gloves and a scarf). Layering is what you'll do, as mornings and evenings are cool. But daytime was great. And yes, we still swam in the Boiling River then.

The aspens around the GTNP probably won't be changing yet in early September.

Happy travels!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM

utahtea, we think early September is the best time of year to go there!
The weather is delightful, the moose are bugling, the crowds are greatly diminished in number, the foliage is beautiful, etc., etc., etc. (Yes, the aspens will be turning in early September. At least, they were the year we were there.)
One bit of advice: Dress is layers. The mornings can be very cool. I wore gloves on a 7 a.m. float trip!
Oh yes, just be forewarned, we had snow on the day we left (September 10)!
Still, it was our best trip ever to YNP and GTNP. Go and enjoy!
PS: I feel flattered to be able to offer NP advice to utahtea!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Howard - aren't the aspens beautiful when they turn? It's good to know they can change earlier in the month. We've been there several times early and they've still been green. Even last year during mid-month they were just beginning to change. Guess it all depends on when they get their first cold snap.

But utahtea, if you hit it right, you're in for a treat. So beautiful!

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:33 AM

As I wrote, one of our trips to the area was in early September and the aspen foliage was perfect. I'm a very serious amateur photographer, and the photos I took on that trip--especially in the Teton--are among the best I've ever taken.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM

I have had water in the cooler freeze overnight in September. It can get rather nippy that time of year.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM

Utahtea,

Since we live so close to the park we are blessed with the ability to do day trips any day of the year we'd like. Sep and Oct are our favorite months - for all the reasons others have mentioned. The crowds are seriously diminished, the colors are changing, animal behavior changes (the rut, bears in hyperphagia, etc.) It's a whole different natural focus and view of the park than in spring and summer. Just like winter is a whole different view. Have you any of Tom Murphy's seasonal photography books on the park?

-doo
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM

It's the best time to visit! September is beautiful and the aspens start changing colors. The park is less crowded. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Doo, I grew up close to Bozeman, and we went to Yellowstone every year over the last weekend in October.

I haven't been back to the park since I was in high school; I need to make a trip.

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Kurieff,

You are so overdue!

And I live in Bozeman - out Springhill. Yep, I know, lucky me

-doo
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM

My husband's family and mine still live near Bozeman. We're in GF which is nice, but we miss the SW part of the state.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

WOW...thanks EVERYONE! Now you have me excited to go at this time of the year! I hadn't even thought about fall foliage, that would be a great bonus!

When we travel I always overpack clothes with a full range. I've even bring a heavy coat to Utah in the summer...you just never know. This is one of the luxuries of a motorhome! It also has a central heat. We camped in snow in Zion in Feb. this year.

I'll keep you posted if we decide to go. Thanks again!

Utahtea
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

It's for sure, we are headed to Yellowstone in early September. Who else will be there?

Utahtea
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 04:55 AM

I will be there in spirit! Maybe next fall... sounds fabulous!
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Hello utahtea

What are your dates? We don't get there until the 14th.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM

We won't be back until the first weekend in Oct. for 3 days - w/our pooch!

Have a great time!

-doo
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi swisshiker,

Our dates keep changing because DH is retired so we don't have to be on a schedule. We are in a motorhome so have a lot more flexibility.

Our current plan is to arrive on the 4th or 5th of September and stay 10 days to two weeks.

Utahtea
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Hi utahtea,

Good to hear from you! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time in Yellowstone in Sept. All the special things about Sept have been mentioned.

I was there during early July. Everything was SO green from the heavy snow year, plus the wildflowers were INCREDIBLE!

Weatherpeople are predicting snow down to 8,000 on Labor Day in Utah. Yes, snow. (Today is suposed to be 90) This is pretty early, but not unheard of. You know to go prepared for everything from shorts weather to parkas!

Happy travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -