Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - Weather/Dress

Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - Weather/Dress

I'll be visitng YNP & GTNP the first week of August, 2010.

I keep thinking about my Utah trips but something in the back of my mind tells me it might be a bit cooler.

Any ideas what to expect during the day and evening?
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In August a few years ago I scraped frost off my windshield early one AM and wore shorts the same day.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 04:12 AM

Your instincts are right, Myer. You won't be needing a heavy coat or anything in August, but do pack layers to put on and peel off. There's a good reason everyone walks around with those zip-off convertible pants.

In late August 2009, I usually started the day with light polartec or gore-tex jacket and a long-sleeved shirt over short-sleeved T--and depending on the activity and altitude, sometimes my light gloves. By 10 a.m., the jacket and often the long-sleeved shirt were off, and by noon, I was often down to a sports bra.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:41 AM

Leading up to our 2006 YNP trip (which was just after Labor Day), my weather-watching husband kept a vigilant eye on the forecast which was supposed to be pretty cold. They were predicting nights in the 20's & 30's, days in the 50's & 60's. We packed silk long johns, fleece, even winter coats. But it turned out to be warm and gorgeous - days in the 70's and 80's, nights 50's & 60's. I only brought one pair of shorts, which I ended up wearing every day! On our last day, we drove from the Tetons back to Salt Lake the long way, through the Wind River area and we finally ran into snow and cold. You just never know - be prepared for all kinds of weather out there.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Because it's such a dry climate, the mornings are usually very cold, below freezing. During our trip last August, we had a dawn rafting trip - I could have used my ski jacket! Of the five days, we only had on shorts/tees on one sunny day, the rest were jeans and light jackets. The key is the weather is changeable, so be prepared for everything!