Winery tours in Sonoma county which ones

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Sonoma county in late June 2010. I would like to get some feedback on which winery tours we should not miss. Husband will be doing some tastings and he is researching this part but I want to concentrate on tours.

I know that most wineries require appointments to take a tour and there are so many I was hoping for some of you that have done them to share which you thought were worth the time and which you wouldn't recommend.

We like to learn about the making of wine and the vineyards themselves and enjoy that portion of it.

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

To add I did do a search for tours in this area and only came up with one response and I searched the max 3 years you are allowed.

I did come up with this from 2007 which I found very interesting and will be researching further. I hope others can add to the list

mamame0w on Jan 30, 07 at 11:36am
Last year we did 2 wonderful tours...each very different.
Del Dotto - which has been mentioned - and Gallo. You need reservations for both. Del Dotto was a great cave tour with LOTS of tastings ! Gallo was VERY personalized. Tour person took 4 of us in his SUV to the vineyards. We cut grapes from different varieties. Learned about the vines, then went off to a small, secluded picnic area where we were shown how to test for the sweetness of the grapes. We then were treated to a "picnic" of cheese, bread and of course wine ! What more could you ask for ?
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Ummmmm...Del Dotto is NOT in Sonoma County-it's in Napa County.

That said, utilize the search functions for "Tour by Appointment" at www.wineroad.com. You should get a list of about 30-40 wineries. All of these wineries will be located
in the area surrounding Healdsburg.

Of merit here, IMHO, are Twomey, Hook & Ladder, Fritz, and
always, A. Rafanelli

Let me know if you have trouble finding the list
and I will link it for you.

R5
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 06:01 AM

We visited the Martin Ray winery in Santa Rosa. Great free tastings & free tour (not required in order to do tasting). The tour was interesting because they have antique vintage equipment next to modern counterpart. Nice people. Take reservations but are flexible if you are late.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM

I thought this was a good thread, although it focuses on red wines.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ine-lovers.cfm
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM

If you like sparkling wine, Iron Horse (Forrestville) does a very nice tour, walk in the vineyard, etc. and tasting. In the northern part of the Dry Creek Valley (north of Healdsburg) Ferarri-Carano offers a nice self-guided tour. If you go to Napa, the Sterling tour which inlcudes the aerial tram ride from the parking lot to the winery offers a great view of Napa Valley.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM

The people at A. Rafanelli were the friendliest and most accommodating of our limited knowledge. But the gal who poured our tastings at Ferarri-Carano was a delight. And the grounds are lovely.

Good to see the recommendation for Gallo; who knew?
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Although we live in the Napa Valley, we do occasionally head over to Sonoma County. If you are in the Dry Creek area West of Healdsburg, I'd recommend Bella Wine Caves. http://www.bellawinery.com/contact/tastes-and-tours
The drive to the winery is rustically fantastic and the grounds are simple but comfortable for guests, complete with wooden chairs and tables so you can enjoy a glass of wine as well as the view out over the valley and the vineyards. The wines are nice and the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming. Check the website for tour information.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:59 AM

We went to the Benziger winery and LOVED their wine tour. I heard about them through the Fodor's forum a few years ago, and I can definitely say it's worth visiting.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Benziger Family Winery offers an amazing educational tram tour and the tasting room offers a reserve or regular tasting. There are also a lot of great winery events in Sonoma such as cheese and sparkling pairing classes at Gloria Ferrer Caves & Vineyards or the Chardonnay Seminar at Chateau St. Jean that can be viewed at the www.sonomavalleywine.com event calendar. For other local support on your planning check out www.sonomavalley.com which is the visitor's bureau site.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help