Help with best wine tours in Napa/Sonoma areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be our first trip to the area and we are spending one night in Yountville and one night in Healdsburg. We would like to tour a couple wineries. So many have been suggested for tasting, but which are the best for tours. We orginally planned for Schramsberg and Cakebread, but aren't sure now if those would be the best. Chateau St. Jean's wine 101 class is not longer offered, as someone mentioned that was great! Any thoughts would be super!
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:51 AM

The best tour is the one you invent yourself. So many maps are available of the area -- get a good one and pick your favorite wineries. It's easy enough and you'll have a great time.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM

Mondavi gives the most informative tour. Reserve a couple of day ahead. Pine Ridge gives an excellent one also.

Stu Dudley
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! They help a lot! Pine Ridge does look really nice. We are from Pennsylvania and would like to visit more of the wineries that we can't purchase back here. We can't ship to PA either! I have a long lists of your favorite wineries and so little time! We will have a wonderful time though, I'm sure!
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM

A. Rafanelli Winery does not distribute to retail outlets -- you can only get it at the winery. Worth a visit -- great stuff. You have to make an appointment. http://arafanelliwinery.com
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:46 PM

The Del Dotto Cave & Tour in NV is a favorite-it's not cheap, but one of the best
Reservations a must.
http://www.deldottovineyards.com/

R5
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:44 PM
ssm

I agree about Mondavi being the most informative as well as the comments about Pine Ridge. I would start there. After those tours, all the others end up sounding the same.

Coppolla is right down the road from Mondavi. Its really more of a tourist destination than a winery in my opinion. I mean the wines are okay but it is pretty cool seeing some of the movie items like The Godfather desk and the gold phone that was passed around by Simon Roth in Godfather II.

If you want to try REALLY good Chardonnay, I highly recommend Cakebread. If you can get into the food and wine paring class, do that. Unfortunately I missed it last time I was up there but friends of mine have said good things about it.

Another good chardonnay producer is Laird Family Estates. The people at Laird are so pleasant. No fancy tour but the people are packed with knowledge, not at all pretentious and the grounds are beautiful!

Finally, if you get a chance and if you like red wine, Duckhorn is a must! Their reserve Merlot is my all time fave.

Good luck.
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Just a side note on the wine shipping-thought that the Supreme Court just struck down the laws about not being able to ship wine to people in certain states. I know that was a problem with NY too-we couldn't get wine sent here directly so if the liquor stores didn't offer it we were out of luck. Check the wineries when you're out there-they might be able to ship now-good luck and have fun!
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Take the Schramsberg tour - it is one of the best. Also visit Jordons winery and make a reservation for the tour and tasting.
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone! Del Dotto or Pine Ridge? Any opinions. Del Dotto is $40 pp for tour. Not a problem if worth it. Pine Ridge does not give their tour cost on their web page. Razzledazzle and StuDudley, I think I've read every one of your postings! Thanks for them all! I'm thinking we'll just taste at cakebread and tour one of your suggestions. A. Rafanelli is on our list! And we love reds so we will check out Duckhorn.

Thanks Ramona for the comment on the Schramsberg tour. I was wondering about that.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Kal

rocker,
When you're in Y'ville, drop by Groezinger's Wine Shop and talk to Rick or Justin.
Very knowledgeable wack jobs and may be able to give you some good insider info.

Cakebread Chards.....

Watch out for info from r5!!! You start listening to her and the next thing you know you cancel your ressies at Martini House and have a fabulous meal at Cindy's Back Street Kitchen with great company!

Hellooooo r5!
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM

Poor rocker, it's his first time to NV/SV here. Be gentle.
Yes, Del Dotto tour is fabulous.
What time of year is your visit ?

Kalest:
Hellllllooo Honey !
Well, now that you FORCED us to have
dinner at Martini House, we'll just have to do one meal at each !

R5

Old May 26th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

We will be traveling in July! Thanks for the continued help! Much appreciated! Will check out Del Dotto! Any opinions on Chateau St. Jean?
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:35 AM

We found the Cakebread Cellars tour to be much more informative than Mondavi - and it's free!

Schramsberg is great! Definitely do their tour.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Deldotto is the best! Definitely worth the money!
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM

The best day of my life was spent at Joseph Phelps. Not a tour, but the private tasting(s) and lunch on the terrace was unforgettable. Just me, DH, and his cousin, a local who knows the right person. Don't know what it cost cousin, but to us, it was priceless.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM

We were just there in April and took a tour at Gloria Ferarra. They say caves but it really was like a basement area. But I did learn quite a bit on the tour. We also did Venezia winery which has a nice upscale "deli" store where can purchase very nice sandwiches, saled, stuffed portabella mushrooms etc. Then you can eat outside overlooking the valley. Lovely.

I also thought I just heard on the news that they were are have just changed the laws to allow shipping of alchohol to all states. Not sure when that would go into effect. I am sure the wineries would be right up to date with info.

Also, we had rented a car and had the neverlost system. FABULOUS! Our 14 year plugged in the names of Muir Woods and it took us right there. Then under "other" he chose Venezia andGloria Ferarra for wineries and it literally told us how to get there, entrance and all. I have seen posts of some of the smaller wineries being very hard to find.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Try Christopher Ranch..I THINK they are in Healdsburg. The reds are great. Try to maybe do a little exploring. There are soooooooooooo many wineries and many do not ship to the stores. My brother lives in the area..he's retired and has some spare time so he gets on his motorcycle and just takes off and see's what he can discover. He stops in at a lot of the little places as he sees them and gets some wonderful wine. You just won't believe how many little AND big wineries there are in the area. I went on the winter wine tour last January and there was 85 wineries participating and that just barely scratched the surface. A map is great. There is a wine center I think in Sonoma. They represent the industry and have maps available for much of the surrounding area. Of course maps are available many places. Just watch your tasting. It can sneak up on you and you don't want to be driving "under the weather". I know...."yes mother" You will love it in that area.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:05 PM

I was the designated driver on our trip to Napa. I just thought I'd put in a plug for the picnic fare found at Sattui Vineyards. Delish!
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Kal

><
r5ver!!!
Took a day trip to Y'ville and Sonoma last Thursday.

Had a "2hr lunch" on the patio at Hurley's. Calamari, Asparagus/prosciotto/pamasean with gnocchi and a bottle of La Crema's finest, the Pinot....and maybe 2 glasses of JP's "Pastiche" for the fruit/cheese plate desert.

Jorge was our server.
He was the first service person we had for our first meal there way back when we went for T'giving about a week or so after the place first opened.

Still good service and food.

Hoofed it up to Jessup Cellars tasting room up near Pere Jeanty. Free tastings.
Some good Cabs/Zins....Bought 3 bottles.
Didn't try the Port (too much sugahhhhh for this fat boy) but the lovely Mrs Kal enjoyed with some chocolate bits.
Tried to get some service at the wine store in the Vintage 1870 Wine store but the guy felt it was more important to ramble on to a person on the phone than it was to wait on a guy w/ money burning a hole right in front of him. I don't get it.

Crashed a pvt party at Groezinger's. Didn't recognize Justin. Lost about 30# and got a haircut.

Thinking about having the GTG there this year... They seemed all for it.

Buy a few LARGE deli plates from Cucina or Gordon's and they will probably give us a deal on the wines we buy there. PLUS...they have a live webcam!!!! A televised GTG. We may get that Pay Per View yet!

And I won't even tell you what happened in Sonoma...but we will be staying at The Lodge next trip down and dining at the Carneros Bistro again.

All in all, brought back about 14 bottles...some new stuff and some "old friends".

Anyway, rocker, I forgot to mention Rombauer in St. Helena...off the Silverado Trail.

Very friendly and knowledeagble. Beautiful grounds to take a bottle out and have a picnic or just walk the path.
Charddy to rival Cakebread and a Zin and pure Cab that works quite well.
Mahalo and cheers!
Kal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -