Wine trail in the Finger Lakes

Jul 20th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Wine trail in the Finger Lakes

We are headed to the Finger Lakes today, Keuka to be specific. I keep hearing about the wine trails. Does this mean that there are specific wineries to visit? Are there cars for hire so we don't have to drive? Looking for suggestions.
Jul 20th, 2011, 05:15 AM

The trail I have heard about goes around Seneca and Cayuga Lakes... I believe there are over 30 wineries in the area.

http://www.senecalakewine.com/jc/wineries/winetrailmaps
Jul 20th, 2011, 05:31 AM
cd

We did the Seneca Wine Trail earlier this year. The wineries are close together and the link wrongfoot gave you shows the map you follow. We drove and do not know if there are any hirecars but we did not have a problem. You can stop at the ones you want and pass up the others. The small booklet that has the map will tell you a little about each winery. We had a good time and was difinitely wined out by the time we got back to our hotel!
Jul 20th, 2011, 05:54 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking of visiting the Finger Lakes region, too, & visiting the wineries, so this info is very helpful.

What else is there to do in the Finger Lakes & how much time does one need? I realize there is swimming, boating, etc, but anything else? What would be the best areas to stay in? I very rarely see info about the Finger Lakes on this forum.
Thanks.
Jul 20th, 2011, 05:55 AM

We vacationed in the Finger Lakes several years ago (on Seneca Lake). We did hire a touring van to go to several different wineries, including our favorite Dr. Frank's which is on Keuka lake. Here's a similar tour that we did:
http://www.qualitywinetours.com/html...ine-tours.html
Jul 20th, 2011, 06:31 AM

The Finger Lakes are a wonderful mix of nature, old town charm, wining and dining... across the top of the Lakes is Rt 20 which is a drive that combines farms, antique shops small villages and charming stops... have a look at www.fingerlakes.org and www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com both are a wealth of information... have fun
Jul 20th, 2011, 06:49 AM

Also great hiking among the gorges in several state parks, especially near Ithaca and Watkins Glen.
Women's history center in Seneca Falls.
Not too far away is the fantastic Corning Glass Museum -- history, science, art, everything about glass -- that could occupy an entire day. In our half day, I spend the whole time in the history side (from earliest Roman examples to current avant garde stuff, with pieces from all around the world) while my DH never left the science side. We both wanted to see what the other had seen, but had a schedule to keep, so we'll just have to find a way to return.
Jul 20th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Hi all! I work for Finger Lakes Wine Country Tourism Marketing Association and might be able to help with some of your questions.

Madana - Happy to hear you're visiting the Finger Lakes. Keuka Lake is beautiful, I think you're going to fall in love!

There are over 100 wineries to visit in the Finger Lakes region, most of them surrounding the lakes. The wine trails (named for the lakes they surround) are more marketing organizations than actual trails. The Keuka Lake Wine Trail (www.keukawinetrail.com) has 8 member wineries, but there are more wineries around Keuka Lake than those members. You can search for wineries by location, amenities, and specialties at http://wineries.FingerLakesWineCountry.com - this will help you determine what wineries you may want to consider visiting. Also, many people do hire transportation for their wine tasting excursions. There are a list of transportation providers here: http://bit.ly/qY1pfx

Kwoo- There are many things to do in Finger Lakes Wine Country. Outdoor activities are popular - hiking Waktins Glen State Park, canoeing or kayaking on the Chemung River, biking along the Catharine Valley Trail or Keuka Outlet Trail, there's lots to choose from. There are also wonderful cultural experiences. The Corning Museum of Glass is just 25 minutes from Watkins Glen and right off I-86. It's hands-on and interactive. Don't miss the Hot Glass Shows and you must make your own glass souvenir in the studio. There's also the Rockwell Museum of Western Art which is currently hosting an Andy Warhol exhibit - both museums are family friendly, offering anyone 19 years old and under free admission! Another activity that's fun for the family or anyone who is a lover of American literature is the Trolley into Mark Twain Country tours. Did you know Mark Twain was laid to rest in Elmira, just 30 minutes south of Seneca Lake? Obviously there's also the wineries, but there's also breweries and distilleries. There's a cheese trail and of course farmers markets are a huge draw during the summer and fall. And there's more beyond these suggestions - you'll never be bored!

If you have more questions, you can visit www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com or feel free to give our office a a call at 800.813.2958 for more information - we're here to help!
Jul 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM

We have been going to Hammondsport (the south end of Keuka Lake) for years now and thoroughly enjoy it. The area in general offers so much to see and do, or champions the relax and do nothing lifestyle as well. With the endless wineries to enjoy taste testing, restaurants from casual and beyond and scenic countryside, it's easy to fall in love with the area. Antiquing is another great pastime to indulge in. There's something for everyone's enjoyment. This area is definitely the place to relax! Enjoy your trip!