Finger Lakes Winery with accommodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are heading to the Finger Lakes next week for an impromptu vacation. We'd like to stay on a vineyard that has rooms and a good restaurant so we can enjoy w/o concern for driving. Suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:42 AM

Well, the first one that comes to mind is Glenora, on the West side of Seneca Lake. They have a nice inn that overlooks the lake with a higher end restaurant. Check out the web-site: www.glenora.com -- the picture detailed in the web-site is actually how it looks.

Can't think of any other wineries that have both an inn and restaurant that immediately come to mind. You can always search wineries on www.uncorkny.com. Good luck!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:12 AM

I've been to other wine-producing regions, and the Finger Lakes is VERY disappointing. Wine tastings are an afterthought. There is no tour. The purpose for the tourist stop is merely the retail aspect. Please don't think that you'll spend all day @ one vineyard.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 03:37 AM

You will greatly enjoy the beauty and wine of the Finger Lakes. I think most of the wines are fantastic and I enjoy the Finger lakes area and wines equally as much as any of the California wine regions that we've visited. We have stayed in Watkins Glen at the south end of Seneca Lake and in Penn Yan area of Keuka Lake. I would recommend staying on one of the lakes instead - they're so beautiful. You'll have a great time.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:46 AM
LN

Hi

We've been to the wine countries in California and New York and although they are quite different - they are quite enjoyable.

We found the NY wineries to be more laid back, talkative, informative, and quite generous.

IMHO I find that NY produces very good white wines and some of the best ice wine I've ever tried.

We started our tour at Watkins glen, headed up the east side of Lake Seneca and stayed at Geneva. There we found a lovely Ramada on the lake with quite new rooms and we were very pleased. For dinner we headed over to a recommended place (???castle) but honestly, the food left a lot to be desired and I couldn't recommend it.

We've decided to go to the Finger lakes again for another tour, probably of another lake but we certainly found it to be a treat!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:56 PM

My husband and I stayed at Glenora two years ago. It was lovely- great staff and nice restaurant with large deck, or in a lodge-type room. It was nice- we were on the first level with a fireplace and a small private patio. We could walk down to the vines- had view of lake as well. We like big Ca reds, but still found a few wines that were pretty good. Seneca lake is beautiful- we loved the area. Be sure to call for reservations stat- they get quite booked at times! Check ourt Corning while you're there- they often have festivals.