Wineries on southern Seneca Lake

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lost Souls, a group of approx 20 "mature" adults, are on the move again to Elmira, NY in October. (Everytime I say Elmira, I'm reminded of Elvira and her great stories of group travel. If I only had her writing talent, the Souls have certainly provided me with plenty of funny fodder for Fodors.)

We plan to hike some of the gorges and waterfalls in state parks, but of course want to add a winery or two during the weekend.

Any suggestions as to the "best" or most unique in that area? Years ago we visited Bully Hill and at the time, we enjoyed their stories of the break with Taylor. Any comments on it now?
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Should we stick to hiking instead of going to any wineries in that area?
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM

One of the best wineries is Konstantin Frank - they are the winners of numerous medals and have wonderful tastings. Nearby is Heron Hill, also a great winery. Both of these wineries are on the southern end of Keuka Lake. Going up the eastern side of Seneca, you will find Red Newt, Chateau Lafayette, and many more. If you go up the western side of Seneca be sure to catch Hermann Weimer and Prejean. And just stop wherever the mood takes you - one of the best parts of a wine tour is finding something fun that you love.
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas, skimama.

Haven't tried NY wines for quite a while because they were always so sweet. Has this changed and any wineries making some nice dry wines?
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM

From my tastings about 4 yrs ago some of the dry Rieslings produced by Dr. Konstantin Frank and Hermann J. Wiemer wineries were excellent.

We more enjoyed Letchworth Park and the Watkins Glen area for the scenic beauty.