Williamsburg

Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:13 AM
mlj
Original Poster

Williamsburg

I just read a message saying that the interperters etc. were no longer employed in Williamsburg. I am getting ready to make reservations for the 2d weekend in December. Do they still have the colonial shops etc. and the presentations put on at the Palace, court etc.? Was there much damage--I have been trying to contact a B and B but am not getting any response.

Thanks for any info.

mlj
Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:17 AM

I can report that interpreters ARE still employed by W'burg -- my mother is a historical interpreter and I just spoke with her last night about the effects of Isabel on W'burg!

It's true that many interpreters and other W'burg employees have been laid off over the past few years, and another restructuring is in the works.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:51 AM

Unfortunately due to budget woes, 95 interpreters were laid off by Colonial Williamsburg. But there are plenty of interpreters, artisans, and entertainers still employed. You probably wouldn't have noticed the difference if you hadn't read about the layoff. All the colonial shops remain open. Christmas remains one of the most popular time to visit Wmbg and I'm sure there won't be any scrimping on entertainment.

Much of Wiliiamsburg remains without power although a couple of supermarkets and a few restaurants & gas stations have opened. Phone service is mostly available but can be loopy. I suspect your B&B owners are dealing with post hurricane issues. Be patient -- I'm sure they want your business.

Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:27 AM

You also need to be aware that there was flooding in the Hampton Roads (?)tunnel. I heard on the news that it was going to be closed for an indefinite amount of time due to structural issues. I'm not sure what the status will be in mid-December but I would track down the website that deals with these issues so it doesn't affect your trip.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:39 AM

Actually, it's the Midtown Tunnel, between Norfolk and Portsmouth that's closed.
Oct 12th, 2003, 04:13 PM

I was very disappointed in my visit to Williamsburg Oct 9-11,2003. In our previous visit, it was an 1774 atmosphere not only in different building,but on streets as well. There were no interperters walking streets except the ones driving the carriages. Many of the buildings were closed. I truely would not recommend a visit at this time. I believe they have cut the number of employees too low-- it is not the same Williamsburg. The price of the tickets are still high--but overall a very disappointing visit.
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM

I was there on October 10-12. I found most buildings open, while not as many interperters just walking around, there were still several. A couple of houses were staffed with volunteers, but I think they did a great job. One of the houses was even set up with 1774 activities for the kids-even this "over 21 kid" got to write with a Quill pen. I had great time. Was very entertained by the "ghost" walk-several interperters involved. By all means, if you can, visit.
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:39 AM

I had a trip planned for Oct 3-6, but had to cancel (business demands). However I will still go, even if there is less offered. I support C.W. thru donations as well as ticket purchases, and feel that keeping away will only push it further down in its ability to present a good product ... things would have to really decline before I'd stop going there. BTW, I've been visiting for long weekends about 5 (or more) times a year for about 7 years now, and while I've seen cut backs here and there still always learn new & interesting things on my visits.

Search this Thread