Williamsburg/VA Beach where to stay

Dec 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Williamsburg/VA Beach where to stay

Looking for a place under $100 night but nice. Anyone know about the Sea Gull Motel, Virginia Beach, or Governor Spottswood Motel in Williamsburg? Clean, quiet, walking to restaurants, close to history and places of interest are important to us. A simple room is fine. Please advise. Thanks.
Dec 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM

Sounds like the Gov Spottswood will fit the bill. It's a family run place of the old motor court genre. Not fancy but clean, quiet and very friendly. Restaurants, mostly chain variety, are close by and some are walkable tho the walk is along a commercial road. The historic area is 5 or 7 minute drive.

I didn't pick up on a date for your visit. $100 a night in Wmburg can get you something more upscale if your trip is not peak season.
Dec 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM

When is the trip?

$100 in VaBeach would be a steal in the summer and highway robbery at other times. I'm trying to recall the Sea Gull, as I've stayed off-season in VaBeach often. I like the Colonial Inn (other than a damn mandatory $1 "In room safe" fee) but others in these forums have not liked it much. It's on the boardwalk near 28th.

It's about 60-70 miles I think from Wbg to "the Beach", so I don't think you can compare the two hotels nor consider staying at one for visits to both cities.

I've stayed many times at Gov Spottswood, one of my favorite motels. It's old but friendly. Sort of an older "motor-court" that grew in stages. Not your typical "cookie-cutter" design lodging. It's usually not the cheapest place to stay, but always reasonble priced.

A similar looking motel that I've considered staying at is the Quality Inn Lord Paget on Capitol Landing Rd. A little larger, bigger grounds, and a private lake. If you're looking for a "deal" far in advance, check the major chain websites. Motel 6, a little further from town (not much) often has rooms for under $30, and it's a nice place. Super8 on 2nd St has always been clean & comfortable. If you wish to find locally owned hotels, go to www.mywilliamsburgvacation.com which is run by the local hotel-motel association. If you wish to "chance" a deal, see the booklets available at many interstate reststops and McD / Dennys, etc near exchanges ... or look at www.roomsavers.com (or roomsaver ?). Other than Fri/Sat nights you can usually find those coupons accepted.

Enjoy your visit. Ask lots of questions of the CW interpreters. I return to CW again and again.
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:14 AM

The "Governor" has shut his doors forever.

I am going to Williamsburg for the weekend (fri-Mon) and even tho I get a highly discounted rate at affiliates of the chain hotel I moonlight at, I was willing to pay more to stay at Governor Spottswood Motel.

However when trying to find the phone # online, I came across a rumor that it was closing Sept 1. The clerk (of 30+ years) who answered the phone confirmed that they are currently checking out the last of the guests.

The Governor Spottswood Motel stood on a pretty good sized chunk of land; I'm sure they'll sell it at a nice price, but After reading this past year of the closing of Williamsburg Motor Court, the Princess Anne, and now Governor Spottswood, I can only think that hospitality in Williamsburg has taken a nosedive.

Is the Tioga an ok place?
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Great postcards of Williamsburg days long past:

http://www.williamsburgpostcards.com/index.html
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM

It's funny to hear the Tioga mentioned on so many posts. I live down the street from it and can't wait for it to close - we call it the flop house. That said, I think it is clean and safe and it's in a great location. I have heard of many recent graduates staying there and the owner can wax poetic about Route 60 like no one I've ever heard.