Search

Williamsburg hotel question

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Williamsburg hotel question

Hello,

I've booked two connecting rooms at the Ramada 1776 for June - one for me and teen daughter, one for husband and teen son. I chose it because Ramada's website says it's very close to Colonial Wmsbg, it has a breakfast buffet, and I got a good rate (about $75 per room per night).

Is this a good hotel choice? Is there a better choice that fits my criteria?

Also, since we only have time to eat at one restaurant in the historical area, which should we choose?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:29 PM

For June that's not a bad rate, especially if it's a weekend. And you are close to CW

Here's a tip to get to the CW Visitor center even easier than the signs. Exit the hotel turning left (east) on Rt 60. Pass THRU the traffic light at Rt 132 (signs tell you to turn R for CW) -- about 1/4 mile (max), turn R into drive that reads "Cascades", make the very first left, and you'll be headed right into the CW Visitor Center parking lots.

Have only had a lunch at CW taverns, so can't recommend a "best". But if you're going to be there on a Saturday night, try to see the 18th Century Play. Evening events sell out quick, might be better to order your tickets before your Wbg arrival -- call 1-800-HISTORY
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Ramada 1776 is an old Holiday Inn "luxury" resort property from the 80s. If you're going to stay there, ask when the last time the rooms were renovated.

If $75 per room per night is your budget range, I'd also suggest you check out the Days Inn Historic Årea. It's in the same general locale as the Ramada and is a nicer property than most Day Inn's. Nicer than the 1776 the last time I checked. For that matter in the same location, there are a variety of chain places in that same general price range (La Quinta, Hampton Inn, etc.). They're all about 5 minutes drive from CW. Walkable, kindof, along a commercial road. As long as the address is Williamsburg, driving proximity to the restored area won't be more than 5-10 minutes.

Free breakfast buffet is good but there are lots of places for cheap and good breakfasts nearby. Don't stake your hotel on that alone.

Colonial Williamsburg operates, among others, a economy hotel called the Governor's Inn which is in the same price range as the Ramada. It's a 3 block walk from the restored area. Their Woodlands hotel might also fit your bill.

For the above hotels and for the CW operated restaurant menu's, check out the website colonialwilliamsburg.com. Book ahead for dining if at all possible or you'll find yourselves with a very early or late seating. The atmosphere in all of taverns is fun and even more special by candlelight. The food is good but not fantastic considering the prices. If it's in your budget go for the experience. If the prices put you off go for a drink at Chownings Tavern after dinner.

rb's Williamsburg tips are good ones. He's a pro. Hope you have a great trip.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Thanks, OBX. I was tempted to tell Joan that she could to better, but I didn't think it was that bad, although I haven't stayed there. BTW, that was Holiday 1776 back in 1973! So yes, it is a bit old. One of the restaurant operators of that HI, "Vic Zodda" also ran the restaurant at the (former) Holiday Inn at 6128 Jefferson Ave in NN where I moonlighted while in the USN - it's now a Ramada.

I would say that any Bypass Rd hotel will probably be satisfactory, especially those cited by obx -- and I'll add the Travelodge and Sleep Inn to the list (have stayed at both), The Governor's Inn will probably cost a bit more than $75 a night, altho in an excellent location that you could walk to CW historic area from, or be shuttled by CW.

I have recently found some good offerings at www.mywilliamsburgvacation.com , the website run by the local hotel/motel association -- not always the best deals for an individual location, but often it is.
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, RB and OBX - you've given me some good tips to follow up on - will check them out.