business and pleasure trip to Hawaii

Sep 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

business and pleasure trip to Hawaii

I posted a question earlier, and got one response, from suze, I think, but can't for the life of me find the thread again. So forgive me for this second post...

My husband just learned that he has a 4 day conference in Honolulu in February, and we think we can get an extra ticket for me using his frequent flier miles. Neither of us have ever been to Hawaii, and are trying to figure out the best way to spend our time.

First, I'm trying to figure out where to stay in Honolulu. I'm not sure where the conference is exactly, but I assume it'll be pretty central, so we'd need a hotel that was easy for him to get to his meetings, but as much as possible I'd like be a little bit out of the way, with easy access to a quiet beach and/or pool for me, with good food and not too much of a big resort feel.

Since I prefer my beaches quiet, I think I will have a rental car and head out of town most days; can anyone make suggestions for half-day sort of destinations?

After the conference, we'd like to stay another 3 nights somewhere, and are wondering if we should try another island (Kuaui?), or if it would be better, given the time constraints, to find somewhere else on Oahu. Would we be rushing it too much to try Kuaui? Any suggestions for places on Oahu that would be a nice contrast after 4 days in Honolulu?

thanks for any advice... we are total Hawaii newbies!
Sep 7th, 2005, 12:00 PM

As much as I like Kauai, there is enough to do on Oahu for first timers, that you should save all the time and inconvenience that island-hopping requires. As far as beaches, if you want quiet, that does not describe Waikiki. There are several very good ones east of Honolulu, I'm sure others will fill you in on them. For your other 3 nights, I suggest Turtle Bay Resort, up on the north shore. It seems to fit what you are looking for nicely, it is so different from Waikiki, there. We've stayed there 3 times, and will go back again.....
Sep 7th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Virtually every conference I've been to has a hotel plan for attendees that offers a "preferred rate." If your husband's employer lets him "freelance", I'd wait to see what the conference hotel is first.

In terms of what to do, I might consider getting away from Oahu for a few days if you're planning extra time. While still Hawaii, it isn't the same as somewhere like Kauai or even the North Shore.
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM

While on Oahu, a quick jaunt to a great (quiet, serene & beautiful) beach... I would highly recommend Lanikai or Kailua. They are right next to each other and about 30 minutes from Waikiki. The water is the color only seen in dreams.

Enjoy!
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Well - S&S, everyone is too busy bickering about NO to answer TRAVEL questions!

We had a business trip to Maui in May nd we added 2 extra days in Kauai. Not long enough, but I'm really glad we saw Kauai. We're from Phila., so I had no idea when we'd be back, so there was no way I was flying 10-plus hours and not seeing Kauai. I think 3 days would be a good amount of time for Kauai. (And Kauai's got a ton of quiet beaches!) The inter-island flight wouldn't be long.

The company flying us out agreed to fly us into Kauai, but home through Maui. We paid for the one way inter-island flight ourselves. As my husband says, It never hurts to ask!
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Stay on Oahu the entire time. Come back again some other time to visit the other islands.

Most of the conferences are in Waikiki or the nearby Convention Center. You should be able to find out where the conference is going to be held, either through his work or trade association or for what ever purpose the conference is. You could also do a Yahoo (or other search engine) search to find out where the conference is going to be and also some other activities that may be planned for the group.

Find out where it is before booking a hotel.

In the meantime you can check out these sites for hotel locations, rates, amenities.

www.hawaii-hotels.com

www.bookit.com

www.hawaii.com

Here's a thread that has a lot of things to do on Oahu.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188

This site also has good info for Oahu:

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...081901179.html
Click on: snap guide for a 7 page free download on things to do (pdf).
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Here is suze's response from your first message. If you are trying to find one of your previous messages, just click on your screen name. All of your messages should come up. (They don't always)

Author: suze
Date: 09/03/2005, 10:59 am

In Waikiki the Breakers or the Hawaiiana Hotel on Beach Walk are smaller independent properties. They are near Fort deRussy park and a fairly quiet stretch of Waikiki beach.
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:10 PM

I went to the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort at Ko Olina on Oahu in January. It was a very quiet resort in the country and about 40 minutes from Honolulu. Certainly get out of Honolulu, to see real Hawaii. The best is to fly to Kailua Kona on the Big Island or Kauai if you want to experience a feel of what Hawaii is really all about. ALOHA!
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:27 PM

We've stayed at the Ihilani too several times and we enjoy it a lot, but I just wanted to warn that if you will be traveling during peak periods it can take much longer to get into Honolulu, it once took us 1 hour and 15 minutes to get into the city on a friday night. I would guess an hour to go in and out of the city during work times.

In addition to what is listed above, another suggestion for a beach near down town in Honolulu would be Hanauma Bay whch is not very far at all from the city. I wouldn't call it one of the most quiet but definitely one of the most picturesque with good snorkeling:

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html

If you don't mind schlepping luggage and the travel time I would definitely try Kauai, but be warned, you will definitely want to return!

Have a great trip.
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:21 AM

If you hit all or most of the tourist things, you'll have more than enough to do for your 4 days. So I agree that you should just spend all your time on Oahu. I also agree that Kailua and Lanikai are great beaches! Very quiet and secluded too.
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Ditto the stay on Oahu, changing islands messes up an entire day! Reducing your 3 days to 2 and then what time do you leave...so it could even be reduced to 1-1/2 days of usable time.

The Honolulu Convention Center has a website with a calendar, so you may want to check that to see if your DH's company/ association is listed there.

We spent 4 days there in June (conference related) and it wasn't enough!

Be sure to do a Chinatown tour with PakePorkChop! He's great!!

Also, do Sharon and Jerry's Circle Island Tour! (Do a search on this site for it).

Manoa Falls was a good hike, unusual scenery!

Tantalus Drive, Pali drive, and Roundtop for wonderful panoramic views!

Belle