Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Key West would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be visiting friends in Venice, Florida, the beginning of Dec. Will take a boat to Key West and stay 2 days. A lot of places are already booked, but I found the Island City House and the Hilton Key West Resort and Marina with openings for the dates I need. Looking for a place within walking distance of Duval Street.Anyone have feedback on either of these? Thanks!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Can't suggest a hotel but are you aware that the new Fantasy Fest date is around Dec 7? It could be why so many places are already booked. It will be insane down there.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

I knew it had been moved to Dec.but not sure of the date. We would be staying Dec. 1 and 2, will people already be there for the event? How crazy is crazy?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Located at 1 Duval Street, with its own private beach:

http://www.pierhouse.com/index.shtml

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:01 AM

In August, we stayed at the Island City House because our first choice was booked. It's now become our first choice. The room was a 1-br suite (it was the least expensive option, so I think they are all at least this size), with wide-plank hardwood floors, clean, comfortable sofas, beautiful antique wood bedroom furniture. Very simple, not fussy, with a full kitchen (granite countertops, wood cabinets, brand new and impeccable, very important). I can't say enough about it, it surprised me to no end. It's about 4 blocks from Duval Street, which means it is a leisurely walk of maybe 10 minutes. This is a bonus, because there is free parking, pretty easy to find in the streets around the hotel. Closer to Duval they have meters. Oh, and we had a private terrace with sofas and chairs perfect for hosting drinks before dinner. I think it was room 23 on the 3rd floor.

Fantasy Fest is crazy but fun.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:13 AM

I thought the Hilton was across the water from the bottom of Duval Street or am I thinking of another Hilton which is within "walking" distance?
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Check out the Heron House. It's a fantastic little B&B a block or so off of Duval.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM

We just returned last night from Key West. The poor place certainly has a lot of brown foliage on the trees and shrubs. Also, lots of plant debris piled on the side streets. I'm sure it will be gone in the next couple of weeks. Duval Street and the area down by the Key West Bight look 'normal', other than the brown leaves on the trees.

We've stayed at Island City House twice, it's a great place. I find Key West to be about funky guest houses/small hotels. Leave the Hilton/Hyatt experience for another city. I'd be really really angry if I booked an ocean front room at the Hilton and ended up staring at a cruise ship.