Mid-Range Hotel Ideas For Key West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad (78) is going to Key West, Fl with a new lady love. He isn't a high roller but appreciates something more special than the typical Holiday Inn experience. What can you suggest that would be less expensive than the Ocean Key? The Marquesa might be an idea if he can get it around $140.00 (in March) but may be too frilly for him. He will have a car. Fodorites, please help.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:09 PM

I assume he will want to be in a good location on or near the Gulf. The Marquesa gets rave reviews, but there are other good choices, too. The Hyatt (on Front Street) is really nice, and so is the Pier House, if you get a room that doesn't overlook the parking lot! He might also look into the Heron House, though I'm not sure it has parking. Another option on the Gulf is the Hilton...many people complain about cruise ships blocking the view, but the location is still good. I have no idea of the current rates of these places, but I'm sure we can come up with other options if they're too expensive.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Susan: Thank you. I will check these ideas out. Anyone else with input?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Marquesa is going to be way more than $140.00 anytime.

We really enjoy Island City House, but even there, it will be more than $140.00 during 'season'.

Key West rooms are expensive. Our last trip was spent at Merlin Guesthouse in a small cottage on the back of the property, only $129.00 a night, but that was in November. It was a great place, but certainly not fancy. Odd set up in that the kitchen was off the bedroom and the bathroom off of the living room.

Jean
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Seems like a b&b would be the way to go for that price.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:28 AM

I would say too that the Marquesa is wonderful, but hardly available for $140 even out of season.
If he is trying to impress a new "lady love", shouldn't he be more concerned with whether it is too frilly for her, not him?
While I haven't been to Key West in several years (hmmm, and only 90 miles from me) I would suggest you search here for Key West accomodations. There have been many posts about wonderful guest houses including prices. I think that would be the way to go for the true Key West experience.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:46 AM
cd

Kismet
We will be staying at the Key West Harbor Inn in a few weeks. I have not been there but they do have a website and I understand the pool and garden areas are beautiful. It is 3blocks to Mallory Square, near the harbor and Duvall Street, has fridge in room, includes breakfast and cocktail hour for $165.00 per night.
www.keywestharborinn.com
1-800-608-6569
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Check out www.fla-keys.com and www.thefloridakeys.com. Also keep in mind that depending when in March, your Dad may hit some Spring Break crowds. Also, fares are higher than.

But there are lots of B&Bs to chose from.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Another suggestion I should've mentioned earlier but forgot is the website for the Key West Innkeepers' Association: keywestinns.com. Parking may be a problem at the B&Bs, but the website will give a comprehensive list of what's available. Be sure he gets something in Old Town, so that they'll be within walking distance of restaurants of other tourist activities.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

I knew I could count on all of you. This helps so much. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:40 AM

The Best Western Key Ambassador is not in Old Town, but the rooms are clean and it is pretty reasonable. The Fairfield Inn on Roosevelt is also clean and reasonable if you don't mind driving into Old Town. If you park several blocks off of Duval you can find parking or you can take the Bone Island Shuttle. Another hotel is the Southermost on the other end of Duval, a hike to the action but not a bad one if you are used to walking.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:06 AM

We didn't stay there, but looked at the Ambrosia House when we were in KW and it looked great. They have parking (limited # of spaces) and a lap pool. Very clean accommodations. I'll stay there next time I go!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM

it is worth a few dollars more to stay downtown..parking is a nightmare...my opinion...ck orbitz and a few other places...(websites)...maybe the Atlantic Shores?...clothing optional....just kidding!