Key West -- Should I Shave My Beard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've wanted to get to Key West for decades. Looks like I may finally make it for a few days in May. A few years back I grew a beard to hide my jowls and annoy my in-laws. Will a paunchy middle-aged guy with a beard attract ridicule as an obvious Hemingway wannabe?

Actually, I think I'll keep the beard and pay the price. Wouldn't mind some advice on hotels, though. Any advice there? We prefer hotels to B&Bs, like a central location and I guess we'd want a pool. Since it is a short trip in the off season prices are not a major concern. A few hundred a night would be okay, but if you know a nice place for less I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:44 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Sounds like you'd be looking at the Pier House.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A punchy middle-aged guy with a beard? In Key West?

Get into a pick-up truck, grab a beer, and drive up and down Duval and you will definitely fit RIGHT in!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:38 AM

avalon B&B, quiet end of duval street
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Key West loves Hemingway, so I think you'd be celebrated instead
Try Island City House and Simonton Court. They aren't big hotels, but they aren't b & b either that you have to walk through a living room to get to your room. They both have great rooms / suites close to the action of Duval Street and the pools are very nice. Simonton Court especially has several beautiful pools and both have lush gardens. Their websites www.islandcityhouse.com and www.simontoncourt.com
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM

We really liked the Marquesa - close enough to walk to Duval, but still quiet with a beautiful pool area.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Hmm. What are the dates of the Hemingway look alike contest? That's a big event and maybe you could use your beard to your advantage.

And while I personally am not a fan of regular B&B's, I'd stay at the Marquessa Inn (larger than a B&B) in a heartbeat. I'm not sure of their current prices.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:09 AM

I think the contest is the middle of July. Which reminds me of the time we went to Graceland and saw all these Elvis's everywhere we looked. Turns out we just happened to be at Graceland during Elvis week (in August).
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM

No, you should not shave your beard! The Conch Republic <http://www.conchrepublic.com/> is likely to turn you away at the border if you do.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the moral support and your hotel suggestions. Marquesa and Pier House look about right. I appreciate the help.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Shave your beard?! Are you kidding? Shaggy, frizzy and maybe a little deranged is the perfect outfit for KW.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM

The only reasons a man should have a beard these days are that his significant other likes him with a beard or that it covers a defect, giving him a more pleasing appearance.

Otherwise, a beard gives the impression that a guy is hiding from something.

Ask your wife, lover, etc. for her opinion. It is possible that your jowls are more prominent in your eyes than in the eyes of others.

If your better half likes your beard, keep it. Otherwise, come out of hiding.

No matter what you decide, there is no reason you should be an object of ridicule in Key West or anyplace else.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:49 PM

I'd bet that the Pier House is already booked for May, but there is info about Hemingway Days for 2008 here...

http://www.wheretogonext.com/release...leaseID=128901

Pjk
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM

happytrailstoyou, PLEASE....are you aware that ythere are many people out there, BOTH men and women who love a stud who has a beard and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with "hiding from something."

I don't suppose you agree that women who slather on the makeup are hiding from something also do you????
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM

"No matter what you decide, there is no reason you should be an object of ridicule in Key West or anyplace else."

Maybe he won't ridicule you, but if you happen to pass by happytrailstoyou in that beard he will stare at you as if you're hiding something.

What an odd thought. I've never imagined that anyone with a beard was "hiding something".
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Hiding something? That IS weird.

I keep wanting to answer the question - "Ask your Beard if he wants to shave his face"
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:09 AM

I said: If your better half likes your beard, keep it.

I add, keep it if your beard is helping you hook up with the kind of people you want to land in the sack.

My guess is that beards turn off more people than the turn on.

The OP said, "I grew a beard to hide my jowls." I approve.

He continues, "and to annoymy in-laws." No comment.

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Fair enough -- your comments directed to what the poster said -- but I think some of us were reacting to THESE statements you made:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"The only reasons a man should have a beard these days are that his significant other likes him with a beard or that it covers a defect, giving him a more pleasing appearance.

Otherwise, a beard gives the impression that a guy is hiding from something."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think your phrase "the ONLY reason" and the blanket statement "a beard gives the impression. . ." seemed pretty clear to relate to ALL beards, not just the case of the original poster. Some of us are simply disagreeing with THOSE two statements you made.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Lots of guys here grow beards to keep their face warm in the winter. I've done it myself.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

To my surprise, my wife likes my beard.

To her surprise, even after learning that I did not shave it off.

As per happytrails:

I saw a quote the other day, "A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." (Oscar Wilde)

Is a bearded man's face then a work of fiction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -