Which city/what to do

Search

Which city/what to do

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which city/what to do

My family and I are looking to go on a road trip within a 5-6 hour drive of Dallas. Ideas that have come up include Vicksburg, MS, Houston, Austin and Hot Springs, AR. It would be my parents, my sister(18) and I (17). We are not too big on outdoorsy things, so I think Hot Springs is out. Can anybody reccomend any of the above places or other places within the driving range that have fun and relatively cheap things to do for a 2 day or so weekday trip? Thanks!
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Are your parents tasking you to find a place or are you looking for recommendations to feed your parents?
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

They asked me to try and find places. They suggested Hot Springs and Vicksburg. I reccomended Houston and Austin.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Ok, then I would recommend San Antonio.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 05:28 PM

And I second it.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 03:39 AM
z

Agree
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 05:02 AM

I don't know whether you're interested in historical stuff. We visited Vicksburg with kids who were then 15 and 11. They found the tour of the battleground very interesting. As you enter, you can buy a tape at the info center and do a self-guided tour. It would certainly fit your request for relatively cheap things to do. However, we were only there one evening and long enough to do the battelfield tour the next day. So I don't know how much else there is to do there. We went from there to Natchez, taking the Natchez Trace at least part of the way. The drive there was interesting. But, other than having dinner in a very neat, old, supposedly haunted place (King's Tavern, maybe?)we were somewhat disappointed in Natchez.

How far is New Orleans from you? While NOLA could be a very expensive trip, there are many things to do there that are relatively cheap. As I recall, it didn't cost very much to get in Preservation Hall, which our kids loved. The free ferry ride that you catch near the aquarium was neat. And, of course, there's the aquarium itself. There are very interesting museums on either side of St. Louis Cathedral. And some very good, not very expensive walking tours. So, depending on what your interests are, I think you could find plenty to do there without dropping a bundle.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 05:02 AM

Another vote for San Antonio, but the Hill Country is worth an overnight at least.
M
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 05:04 AM
dcespedes

Another vote for San Antonio.

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 06:30 AM

San Antonio always feels like I am on a destination vacation instead of a weekend sidetrip. On the other hand, your other choices are also good.

Vicksburg and Natchez are amazing places for antebellum era appreciation and education. Twice a year Natchez has their pilgrimage if you could coordinate your trip around that.

Hot Springs has the great spas if your family likes to indulge. You can also go dig for diamonds about an hour away. Then perhaps check out the new Clinton library in LR.

Houston has lots of offerings, but the museums are probably the crown jewel, in my opinion. If you buy a family annual pass to Dallas museum, you can go to several Houston museums for free. Dead Sea Scrolls are showing there now at the Natural Science Museum. The Medical Museum is fascinating.

Austin is a fun weekend also, but I would time it during the hot summer and do a sidetrip to Schlitterbahn with it.

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 11:14 AM

I'm all for Austin SA and Hill Country.

Skip on Hot Springs....it really isn't what you think it might be. We stayed at the Arlington, and thought it was going to be a nice, elegant place. It has potential, but is totally white trash. The spaces are beautiful and ornate, but then they have COPS playing in the bar on a huge widescreen TV. Food was also terrible.

I love the Austin area with the caves to explore, country BBQ, swimming holes, etc.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Now that you mention it, the last time we were in Arkansas, COPS was playing on most random TVs. Fortunately, we stayed at a condo away from town so we could be a bit choosier.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 07:42 PM

Second the reco for Austin.

I did not like Hot Springs at all - we ran into bad weather, and also some racist idiots which completely spoiled the trip.