Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which area of town should we stay in Houston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Sheryl

My husband and I will be in Houston for one night in mid-February and are wondering where we should stay. Since our time is limited, the only place that we are set on seeing is the NASA Space Center; otherwise, the rest of our time is flexible. Which area should we stay in, and which of these are safe neighborhoods? Thanks in advance!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:09 PM
p.

If it's NASA you want, stay in Clear Lake or Webster areas, or maybe Kemah, or even Galveston (stay near the harbor). For Houston, I'd go on the west side way out by, say, Westheimer/Briar Oaks. Lots of places to eat. Houston at that time of year can be very pleasant weather-wise.
Have fun.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Houstonian

That ol' Ghasper must have a special alarm for Houston posts. It really stinks when someone just complains and is not helpful like Ghasper. Stay in Clear Lake if you want to be near NASA. Otherwise stay in the Galleria area.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:01 AM
laurie

I second Webster for Space Center Houston accomodations. The hotels are within 5 blocks and there are many restaurants also.

Also easy access from the interstate coming out of Houston airports.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Paul

If it were me, I would stay in the Galleria area during my one-night stay in February. Plenty to do and see, and a true, quick flavor for the area. Possibly stay at a connecting hotel to the Galleria, if you can.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Lindsey

Houston is pretty spread out so stay near the primary purposes of your visit. If solely to see NASA stay down in Clear Lake. If for business or to visit relatives or friends, stay near the center of your activity.

Most neigborhoods where major midscale chains like Sheraton, Hyatt or Doubletree are located are relatively safe. What's your budget and is your stay on a weekend or a weeknight?

Another area you might want to consider is the Rice University/Medical Center/Museum District area.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Kay

The Galleria area is convenient but completely devoid of destination hotels (upscale hotels that make your stay memorable).

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:36 PM
ns

Kay is completely wrong. The St. Regis is the nicest hotel IMO and is adjacent to the Galleria.

By the way, I concur that "ghasp" is such a whack job, that whatever attention he is trying to draw to his cause and organization is diminished by the lunacy of his posts. That's the problem with most zealots and their pet issues: a refusal to see the other side of the coin detracts from any valid arguments they may actually have.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Kay

My comment about the Galleris "area" was with reference to the hotels on site, like those nasty old Westin hotels, which someone above recommended.
I stayed at the St. Regis when it was the Ritz, and it was nice then. But hidden from the heavily commercialized Galleria area, back in a more residential area.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:21 PM
ab

I spent a few days in Houston this spring and found the Galleria/ Rice U area lovely. Lots of nice hotels, great selection of restaurants, clean and low traffic. No apparent problem with air quality.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Kevin

South Shore Harbor resort is across Clear Lake. Nice hotel and in League City, about 4 miles by road to NASA.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:24 AM
travellyn

I was thinking of South Shore Harbor, too, but had forgotten the name. It's a beautiul place. They used to have a nice brunch. You can get some great seafood around Clear Lake and Kemah.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:06 AM
jane rey.

We're getting a lot of haze these days in Houston.

www.ghasp.org

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:06 PM
thank you

Those are rain clouds you ninny, and it is cool out so your rose colored glasses are fogging up. Fodor's editor, thank you for purging the former troll posts. Like mosquitos, the trolls keep on breeding even if you temporarily eradicate them. They respect nothing about this site and merely choose to use it for their travel unrelated political agendas.