Search

Austin Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austin Suggestions

I'm going to be in Austin 3 days in July for a wedding, and I'd like to stay at a hotel in a nice neighborhood somewhere with things to do in walking distance. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:32 AM
stjohnbound

I would stay downtown, especially if you won't have a car. What kinds of "things" do you want to do?

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:01 AM
aggiemom

We stayed in the Hilton on 6th street. Almost new hotel - one of the nicest Hiltons I've ever stayed in. I think it was $199 night (we were upgraded to 25th floor concierge level for free because we are members. All the extras up there were very nice.) And 6th street really gets hopping at night with music, food, etc. There is shopping nearby. Univ. of Texas campus is right there so a lot is geared towards students. The state capitol is within walking distance (a very pretty building inside) as well as a couple of museums.

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Downtown is the most fun in my mind. If you want upscale there are 3 choices, The Four Seasons, which overlooks Town Lake, the historic Driscoll Hotel, near 6th St. and the Stephen F. Austin (?), on Congress a few blocks from the Capital and Town Lake. There is also a Radisson on Congress at Town Lake a few doors down from the Four Seasons, and across Town Lake is the Hyatt Regency.

There are lots of restaurants downtown (we love Roy's, the Hawaiian chain) and nearby. You will probably want a car but most of what you need is only a short cab ride away. Be sure to check out the Barton Springs area (Chuy's Mexican restaurant is great & fun, as is its sister, a few doors down, The Grove. Zilker Park is around the corner from there and nice. You can swim in Barton Springs and they are lovely and cool that time of year.

There are galleries and resaurants along West 5th or 6th. You must go to the Hula Hut (Mexican) which sits on Lake Austin not far from Downtown. Town Lake, btw, has a nice running/walking track around it.

Traffic can be bad around Austin but if you stay off I-35 you should be OK. Have fun! Let me know if you need more info.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 12:47 PM

KBec,
If you wanted to stay downtown and walk around at night, which of the hotels that you mentioned would be the best? We are trying to avoid a car. I remember staying at the Hyatt several years back in late winter/early spring; the streets over the bridge and into downtown were pretty much deserted after dark.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Hello and welcome to Austin!

If price is no object, the Driscoll is your best bet, right in the middle of the downtown scene. It's an historic hotel with lots of character. And the location can't be beat, with easy walking to the Texas History Museum, Capitol complex, Congress Bridge (Mexican free-tailed bat viewing at dusk), many fine restaurants, and of course the nighttime clubbing on 6th Street.

A trip to Austin would never be complete without some BBQ and a splash in Barton Springs.

Enjoy!