South Austin hotels/area

Search

South Austin hotels/area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Austin hotels/area

We'll be in Austin area March 12 which I just found out is SXSW time. Lots of hotels downtown booked. What is the area slightly south, along I-35 at 290/71 like? There seem to be a lot of hotels grouped there and I will take a look at some of them: Fairfield, HIE, Hampton...that's what we usually look for. Thoughts? Reccommendations? Thanks very much.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:42 AM

What are you looking to do while in Austin and how long will you be here? That will help with hotel recommendations. SXSW is a very busy time so I'm not surprised hotels are booked. Have you tried B&Bs? Brava House is in the Clarksville area downtown and always gets good reviews.

The I-35@290/71 area is okay but it wouldn't be where I would want to stay. Just a bunch of concrete and cars. I would do whatever I could to stay in the downtown area. Second choice would be the Arboretum area which is North of downtown.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:52 AM

The area you are talking about is exactly as you describe it, a bunch of hotels grouped together right off the highway. They are okay, but for a better feel for Austin and proximity to SXSW activities, I'd keep looking for downtown accommodations, too. And as AustinTraveler said, the Arboretum area is nice. There are lots of restaurants, shopping and more green space there than the hotel strip you mention.

Have you booked your SXSW pass yet? If you've not already looked for tips on SXSW, I recall posting here and that information should still be available if you search the forums.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks AustinTraveler and saige. We're just going to be passing through, would like to take a look at the Bob Bullock Museum and/or the LBJ library and maybe have some BBQ somewhere. We aren't going to SXSW; it's just a coincidence that it's going on. It's possible that the southern area I mentioned might be fine for one night, as long as we can get to the above mentioned places (even though I realize we won't be close.) The other thing is we will be coming from San Antonio so the southern area, un-charming though it may be, might be a convenience. But I'll check the Arboretum area and the B&B.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM

If you're just coming for one night, the southern area will be just fine. Book now though cause every place fills up for SXSW.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:08 PM

The south area you are talking about is very convenient to get to, especially coming from the S.A. area. The Fairfield there is usually a good value, as is the Marriott SrpingHill Suites. Also in that group of hotels there is a small full service Marriott that is very nice, but probably somewhat higher priced. You will be probably no more than 8 to 10 minutes from one of those hotels to your exit from I-35 onto MLK for the Bullock Museum and LBJ Museum (unless you are going during morning or afternoon rush hour).
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Claire, as the other posters said, you better hustle to get a reservation. I bet most if not all of the hotels on the south side are also already booked. If so, you might try calling direct. If you have a problem with rooms, you might try the Fairfield on North Mopac. A little further away but not as far as if you have to go to RoundRock for a hotel. And there is a great outdoor shopping center next to it with several very good restaurants and bars. I would prefer the south hotels but I really think they may be booked by now.Good luck.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone for your kind attention and all the tips.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM

If you can get a reservation anywhere in Austin at that time, take it! Southwest is MUCH preferable over Round Rock (shudder).