Where to stay in Kauai?

Search

Where to stay in Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Kauai?

My family of 5 will be on Waikiki Beach for 4 nights and then Kauai for 5 nights in late December 2007/early January 2008. I'll be looking for condos on Kauai but don't know which area of the island to target for maximum sunshine, minimal rain and the most diverse activities? We like surfing, snorkeling, zip lining, etc. Advice appreciated.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM
kealalani

With your circumstance, I'd stick with south/Poipu area that time of year. The swells of the northshore are dangerous and often unswimmable.

Or you could do the Eastside, Kaa'pa as a homebase to explore either direction.

ATV at Kipu Ranch!

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM

Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy! Centrally located in Kapaa, condo-like suites...very nice Hawaiian feel to the place. The staff is wonderful. It's my favorite!
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM

Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu would be a good place to look into.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM

We own a timeshare on Kauai and love the island. Before we bought the timeshare we stayed at the Plantation Hale in Kapa'a. They are condos and can accomodate 5. You may also want to check with Banyan Harbor in Lihue (that is where our timeshare is).

Enjoy your time in Hawaii!
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM

Please surf onto www.suiteparadise.com for a nice selection of reasonably priced condos on the South Shore, which would be a much better choice for a late December/early January weather and water sports. BTW, you did mean December 08/January 09, right? North Shore can get pretty rough that time of year and beaches on the East Shore are not safe for swimming, period. You may want to look and book pretty soon since the winter holidays are a high season and it will be slim pickings pretty soon.

Anna Roz
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM

I concur with Kealalani and Anna. Since you just have 5 nights in Dec/Jan, spend it on the sunnier south shore which has more consistent sunny weather in winter. Good snorkeling near Poipu Waiohai and Beach House restaurant. Have swum with turtles there.

Love the North Shore in the summer but for last 4 years my husband and I have spent 3 months in Kauai from Nov-Jan, most time spent in the sunnier south (we rent at VRBO 16120) and then 3 weeks at our timeshare on the convenient east shore where we can walk to so many restaurants, stores and along new pedestrian/bike path BUT swmming on east and north shores is not advisable in winter most of the time. This past trip seemed cooler and windier on east shore.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:31 AM

Just for the record, I also suggested Poipu, not just anna and kealalani.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM

Sorry Iamq, I just answered quickly and picked the 2 names from the longer examples. I also agree with you that the Kiahuna is a great choice.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
kealalani

Good grief iamq - enuff with the batting the eyelashes smiley face!!!!! You da great kauai kahuna in the know! Just don't talk about those godawful rentals with pet roosters for alarm clocks!

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
iceeu2

amp; to iamq!!!!!! I would also suggest Poipu. Check out the Marriott Waiohai. It's beautiful and 2 bedrooms. Also, can't remember what it is called, but the old Embassy Suites is a 2 br condo in Poipu.

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM

kealalani and iceeeee, jealousy does not become you.

Roosters? What roosters?

The "GKKK" has spoken. >
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
kealalani

Geeky Kauaian Kahuna Know=it-all?

Gorgeous Kauaian Kahuna Kealalani wannabee?

Good luck with your travel plans Albery!!! If you are like us, you will love the "hellhole" and want to protect it!

Alooooha

gyppie

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM

OMG- You're not going to Kauai are you? The horrible rain, and those horrible roosters..... Oh, how could you do that to your family?
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM

I second http://www.suite-paradise.com/ Very reasonable rates, walking distance to Poipu Beach etc. We stayed in the Poipu Kai area's Manualoha section, huge 2/2 ("Gdn XDlx"). We've also stayed at the timeshare Marriott Waiohai and loved it, right on Poipu Beach; again a big 2/2, only about three or four years old. See if you can get a "teaser" rate, you'll get the pitch but it's low key and not unpleasant at all.