Search

Best place to stay in Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place to stay in Kauai

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the best area to stay in Kauai is? Also if you have any suggestions on hotels or condos, please advise.

I'm planning on running all over the island. I want to do a lot of water activities but also want to hike and see things on land as well.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:15 AM

Any idea when you are going, in Kauai's winter Nov-March, or summer?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I'm planning on going the middle of May.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:09 AM

For a visit in May would recommend the Kauai's beautiful north shore, specifically the Princeville Hotel (rated #2 of all Hawaiian resorts by travel channel 2003). Many condos in the adjoining Princeville resort area can be found by searching online (e.g. www.vrbo.com). A great inexpensive guidebook, Kauai Revealed(available @ Borders, Barnes&Noble etc), has aerial photos and reviews of condo's on Kauai, and I would not go to Kauai without it:

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauai.html

Some recommend splitting time between northern Kauai, Princeville Hotel and southern Kauai, Hyatt (rated #4 Hawaiian resort) close to the acclaimed Poipu beach.

Feel free to ask more questions about specific properties, there are alot of Kauai knowledgeable folks here that can help you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

As I plan to run back and forth between the North and the South is there any good place between them to stay? Is the East Coast nice at all? I'm just trying to figure out how to spend less time getting to the destinations I want and more time enjoying where I'm at
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM

We have only stayed at one hotel on the Coconut coast where the beach was pretty but not swimmable (east coast) and can not recommend it. I have read here, and you can research the site that there are other nice hotels (e.g. Marriott, Radisson) but most feel that they are not in the same league as Princeville & Hyatt.

The top 2 resorts on Kauai are the Princeville hotel up north and the Hyatt in the south, Kauai is a small island and I would not mind driving an extra 30-45 by staying in Princeville-the view is amazing, vs staying on the east coast of Kauai.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:31 PM

I would suggest splitting up the time between North and South...when we were there in August we ran into lots of traffic that slowed us down on the "back and forth" idea. We stayed in Poipu the entire time which was fine because the weather happened to be better there the week we were there. I wasn't too impressed by the places we saw on the East side of the island but I didn't really take the time to investigate. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:55 PM

If you decide to stay on the east coast in order to have a central location, I can say that we were pleased with the Aston islander on the Beach, a moderate beach front hotel. The Kapa'a location is very convenient for any shopping you may need to do as well as a good choice of restaurants, including lots with moderate prices.

However, we probably will not stay there again as we really don't like to spend our precious island time driving. The N. shore is our favorite area. The best trip we have had so far was split between Hanalei Colony resort on the far N. shore and The Kalaheo Inn in Kalaheo, which is inland northwest of Po'ipu. That was veery convenient for getting to both Po'ipu and Koke'e. Kalaheo Inn is budget-priced.

On the N. shore I think you will get more of a Hawai'ian feel if you look for something in Hanalei or Ha'ena, instead of Princeville. There are lots of rental cottages and houses there, as well as all over the island.

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM

I have stayed at the Hyatt in Poipu and Hanalei Bay Resort in PRinceville. It is located next door to the Princeville Hotel and uses the same beach as the Princeville.
As far as beauty- the north shore has the south side beat by a landslide. The Princeville Hotel is quite beautiful inthe inside (typical marble, lots of windows to look out at Bali Hai. ) I did not stay at the Princeville, but from wandering around, I did not get that "tropical feel" as I did at the Hyatt. The Hyatt has an open air lobby with a beautiful and fun pool, open air restaurant for breakfsat in the morning.
You may want to check into Hanalei Bay Resort. We stayed in a studio room which included a small kitchenette with a microwave, sink, and fridge. We had a mountain view room and the view was spectacular. Have fun!