Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where should we eat on Hilton Head, S.C.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Beth

My family of four will be spending Labor Day weekend on Hilton Head and we enjoy good restaurants! Does anyone who has visited recently have recommendations - we're not looking for the most expensive, just reasonably priced but delicious food - seafood, Italian, etc. that's worth a visit. thanks!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:44 AM
XXXXX

Beleive it or not, a place called The British Open Pub has fabulous food!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:35 AM
tim

Beth,
There are a TON of places to eat on the island. You can get a Restaurant Guide at any hotel, shopping area, grocery store,etc. for free that has pretty much every place on the island to eat, their menu, and the publishers review on the place. it is about half an inch thick. We were there for a week the first of Aug and went through this guide everyday as we decided where we want to go.
A couple places I would reccomend is to go into HarborTown and eat. There are a couple places there. and Shelter Cove is really cool also. It is a Harbor with shops, inside/outside dining. We ate at some Mexican place there(San Miguels??) that was pretty good, but crowded!!
I would strongly encourage you to get one of those free restaurany guide/books.
Where are you staying?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:14 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Had a good meal at Eugene's at Palmetto Bay Marina last month. Great views, large portions, good (not great) food.

Had a better meal at Catch 22 on New Orleans Rd. No view, but more finesse with the food. Mostly seafood.

There's also a great casual Greek restaurant on New Orleans - I think it's called Greek to Me. Very affordable and quite good.

Remember, if you're not staying in Sea Pines, you have to pay to get your car into the plantation. I think it's $5.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:24 AM
me

The best rest on the island is 2-11 park. It is a wine bar (75 by the glass) and they have great rock shrimp tacos, fried lobster tails, TUNA, and other seafood, steaks, etc. Also CQ's and the Old Fort Pub are excellent. Stay away from the Crazy Crab and Crabby Nick's and Nick's Seafood...all tourist traps. The British Open is good for fish & chips (casual) and It is Greek to Me is good too. San Miguels as prev mentioned has the worst mex food I've eaten, but it is a good place for outside margaritas.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:33 AM
seafoodlover

Crazy Crab out by the bridge coming over to Hilton Head has good seafood and great hush puppies!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:48 PM
Beth

Thanks for the recommendations...we'll definitely try some you have mentioned - we only have three nights there so every dinner counts and we'd rather not fall into the tourist traps! BTW we're staying at the Hilton on Palmetto Dunes. I'll let you know which were our favorites!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:59 AM
bob

As you go into Palmetto Dunes about a minute up on the right is a seafood place I think its called Alexanders. This place is always crowded and is supposedly a favorite amoung Palmetto Dunes residents. Too far to walk from Hilton though. Shelter Cove is right across the highway from Palmetto Dunes...go there one day/night for dinner and nice shops, boat harbor, etc.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:54 AM
Donna

Alexanders is NOT too far a walk from the Hilton. Would probably take 10 minutes tops. Its across from the Tennis Center, and that definately is within walking distance.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:48 AM
Brian in Atlanta

OK, this is completely hearsay, but I've heard that Alexander's is very overrated.

Places we haven't gotten to but we're looking forward to trying are Cafe Maxx, Old Fort Pub, Redfish Grill and Sage (brand new).

Check out http://www.sallys-place.com/food/din...ilton_head.htm for a great listing of one critic's opinions of a lot of the restaurants on the island.

The Restaurant Guide with full menus mentioned by Tim is also a great resource when you get there.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:24 AM
jane

dear beth,
Hilton Head Brewing co. has great food and spirits..very kid friendly..can watch the ducks outside the window ..request a window seat..great service.
go down to Harbour town and fool around and shop..lots of places to eat down there...kid friendly again!!
Go to Coligny Plaza Shopping Center..been there forever a favorite in our family..a wonderful kid friendly place been around a long time is Earl of Sandwich..try The Pilgrim sandwich..my fave!!
Adult faves of ours..Old Fort Pub..wonderful sunset alittle pricey but like i said adults treating themselves one night! Tavern of the Creek (if still there) very good..again alittle pricey.
A fun place for family is Kingfisher..in btween Sheltor Cove and the mall.they usually have a family oriented band.good sunset too.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Jamie

Hilton Head Brewing Co.--great pizza. Good family restaurant.

Eugene's--one of the best restaurants. The food and service is excellent. It was recommended on this site and they were absolutely correct.

Aunt Chilada's--mexican, or you name it. Was there about 8:30 p.m. on a Thursdy night, restaurant floor was dirty, food very average, and service below average.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:54 AM
islandguy

Beth,

For great Italian food try Il Carpaccio in Pineland Mall. For great Cuban-influenced food, try Red Fish on Palmetto Bay Road, just off Sea Pines Circle.
New rib restaurant called Sticky Fingers has just opened about 200 yards from Red Fish. Always a big crowd there, so they might be onto something good.
Not sure if it will be open by the time you get here, but Marley's Island Grill (Jamaica/Caribbean influence) is just about to open at the entrance to Sea Pines.
The hottest Mexican restaurant on the island is Mi Tierra on the north end. Always hear raves about the food - quantity, quality, value.
Hudson's on the Dock on Skull Creek near Hilton Head Plantation has been a local favorite for a lot of years. Been on 'Best of' on Food Network, too.
There are a couple of tepenyaki Japanese restaurants on the south end, Hinoki on New Orleans Road, and Kurama on Palmetto Bay Road. Kids always seem to like the show the cooks put on.
Have to concur with suggestions above about the Restaurant Guide.