Moderately Priced Restaurants in Hilton Head

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moderately Priced Restaurants in Hilton Head

My wife and I (mid 50's) will be traveling from Canada to Hilton Head for a week of golf and relaxation. It's our first time in the area so any advice on moderately priced restaurants to try(or avoid!) would be most welcome.

Thanks y'all
CAPT
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Pick up the restaurant guides and island guides, available in most stores, restaurants and the visitor center. Many advertise and post their full menus, early bird specials, etc. Its been a few years, I cant remember the names, I would ask fellow tourist when you get there
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM

We like the Sea Shack and Hudson's on the Docks. Nothing is especially cheap in Hilton Head, but these two places deliver simple, really good, local food. We used to like a place called Al's (?) It was closed the last time we were there. Maybe somebody knows if it has reopened. It was kind of a soul food place. Very good Low Country cooking.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Kenny G's makes you think you are in New Orleans and very moderate.

I enjoyed the Greek restaurant there a couple of weeks ago.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. We'll definitely give Sea Shack, Kenny G's, and Hudsons a try. I'll let you know if we find AL's place Carla.

Thanks y'all
CAPT
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM

We have been to HH about 8 times, as recently as August 2005. There are a lot of chain restaurants which should be familiar to you, even from Canada. Also try the Oyster Factory, the Hilton Head Diner, the pancake place just next door. There is a NY style deli in the facotry stores just past Palmetto Dunes on 278. Try www.Chowhound.com and do a search on HH as well. There is an Italian restaurant I think it's La Famiglia. Cafe Europe in Sea Pines is not that expensive and the view is very nice. When are you going? What is the weather like this time of year? We have only been there in the summer when it is HOT. Just curious......
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:22 AM

The temps got up to 80 a couple of weeks ago, but no humidity. I walked barefoot in the sand - and the sand was cold! It was pretty windy and lots of beach walkers were bundled up in windbreakers, etc. If you like walking the beach and don't care about swimming it's a great time of year to be at the beach.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:16 AM

We have gone to HH for the past 20 years and are going again next month. Here is a website that rates the HH restaurants.

http://www.sallys-place.com/food/din...ilton_head.htm

It doesn't give a price indication but you will know which ones to avoid. I would agree with the Sea Shack recommendation.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 05:43 AM

The link above is a great resource.

It's Kenny B's, not Kenny G's.

Good, well-priced seafood can be had at Henry's Seafood House near Sea Pines Circle. It's not a fancy place (un-updated 70's look), but the food is good and the price is low.

For something other than seafood, Just Pasta at Coligney Circle is pretty good and very reasonable.

Next door is the Big Bamboo, a 1940's US forces in the Pacific themed place with a great bar (good happy hour specials) and the food's pretty good (Thursday night seafood special is a very good deal).

I don't really get the appeal of Aunt Chillada's (sp?) nearby, but it's always packed, so they must be doing something right.

Back up near Sea Pines Circle is Marley's, which at first glance seems real touristy, but they mix good drinks and very good food (we were pleasently surprised). It can get pricy for dinner, but the happy hour food at the bar, while limited, is a steal for the quality.

Had a great lunch at a new place at Palmetto Bay Marina a couple weeks ago - Hemmingway's. Great outdoor seating with a view of the water. We'll definitely be back for dinner.

On the north end, we love the Boathouse II with it's great patio on the water. It can get pricy for dinner though. It's a great lunch spot when shopping at the Tanger Outlets.

For pizza, Guiseppie's (sp?) is great - there are a couple locations on the island I think.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks again for sharing a ton of info. Great recommendations.

CAPT