NYC - Rainbow Grille - Is the food any good?

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Rainbow Grille - Is the food any good?

I had asked this question at the tail end of another thread but I didn't get an answer.

We are going to a concert at Radio City on Friday night. We would like to go out for a late-night meal. We've never been to the Rainbow Grille -- is the food worth the price? I think the romance factor is there, but what about the food?

Or...are there other suggestions out there? We are staying on Lexington Avenue.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Year before last, we ordered the prix fixe menu because options were quite appealing. Food was just fine.

The view is absolutely fabulous and, I think, worth the prices. Ask for a window table when you reserve. (We did this via OpenTable.com)

Note that they required a credit card number and 24 hours notice to cancel. And, a jacket is required.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Although the view is wonderful, this is strictly a tourist place. You need to decide if you want a big-ticket view or good food; I would go for a drink here sometime during your visit and dine elsewhere.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Do you need a reservation for the Grille? I thought the prix fixe menu was only in the Dining Room. Now I'm confused.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:32 AM

My understanding is the food is edible - nothing more (report from my parents - and I think this is primarily a place for the OLDER crowd - who remember it in it's heyday 30 years ago).
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 01:18 PM

There is the Rainbow Room and also Rainbow Grill.

There is a website: www.rainbowroom.com with information and (old) menus for each.

There is a bar in Rainbow Grill, along with dining tables. During busy times, you will not be allowed up the elevator without a dinner reservation.

When you are allowed up for drinks only, there is typically a very long line.

If you want to go for drinks only (and drinks are $18 or so apiece), best is to arrive just after 10PM, when the diners are leaving and the theaters haven't let out yet. At least, this has always worked for us.

When we ordered from the prix fixe menu (and excellent value compared to a la carte prices), options were appealing, portions were fine, food was excellent and beautifully presented. Yes, you do pay extra for the views...

Note that the prix fixe menu is available only at specific times.

If you do visit Rainbow Grill, be sure to wander down the hall for the view of Central Park.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

I called the Rainbow Grill and to make a reservation, they require a credit card number. But when I asked if tables were wide open for 10:30 p.m., she said they were.

Since I do not know when the concert will end, I think we'll just pop in.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 01:53 PM

If you want a view, the food at Asiate in the Mandarin Oriental is much better. Or for more music, try Dizzy's Coca Cola for jazz and a bite. These are just options. If you have your heart set on the Rainbow Grill, go. The views from there are more dramatic.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie, my husband mentioned maybe going dancing on Saturday night. Any suggestions on where a couple, who are young at heart but in their 40's/50's, might feel comfortable?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM

There will likely be a very, very long line if you arrive as the shows are all letting out.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I know. I'll see what my husband wants to do -- probably will make the reservation.

No such thing as going on a whim in Manhattan, huh?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM

For dancing, I haven't been but Swing 46 could be fun.
http://www.swing46.com/
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM

The Carnegie Club does a Sinatra show on Sat. nights.
http://hospitalityholdings.com/carnegie/
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:48 PM

We were in Manhattan last Halloween and had no problem getting into the Rainbow Grille. The views are stunning and songs of NY on the piano create just the right ambience. Yes, I am 56 but loved it. There were a lot of younger people there. While expensive, you are not pressured into buying drinks just to sit there.
We had a great time! A very memorable experience...
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Well, I've come back to answer my own question....

We ended up making a reservation for 10:30 p.m. and as mentioned by those in the know, there was a line for tables. Many were turned away (either they left or settled for the bar). So, if you have your mind set on the experience, make the reservation.

We had a cozy table for two with the Empire State Building directly in front of us. That was very nice.

My husband had the Chilean Sea bass and I had the mushroom risotto, which was over-salted and not cooked long enough. We both had dessert -- that was a major disappointment. I would say the desserts were similar to what you would find in your local diner (in fact, not as good). And the cakes were left out on a long table and served room temperature (which I didn't notice until after I ordered). Definitely no frills on the plating and presentation.

Just so others will know, the "waiter tip" was included, and not just added to the bill, but included in the price of the entrée. So if the prices seem high, that's the reason why.

There was also the additional line for the "captains tip" (uh, what's up with that, lol) My dear husband must have been mesmerized by my beauty that evening, because I had to point out later on that he actually over-tipped (I'm such a kill-joy, lol).

I don't know why, but there wasn't a piano player, so that was a little disappointing. Also, I thought the waitstaff was very slow and disinterested. We were a little perplexed by the fact that there was a need to roll tables right through the dining room (Why? Haven't a clue).

So there you have it. Definitely the hype is for the view. But all the peripheral activity was annoying. As far as food goes, it's a step above TOTG. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Now if you want a great place to dine, try Eleven Madison Park -- simply fabulous!