Reload this Page >

New Hilton Head Restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Heading down soon for our annual long weekend and is looks like there are some new restaurants (or maybe we just missed them before). Any comments/recommendations for any of the following?

Cafe Maxx
Catch 22
Crane's Tavern
Santa Fe Cafe
Spartina Grill
Eugene's Waterfront

And we've never tried CQ's fearing it would be too stuffy for a couple in their early 30s. Is this a misconception? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Rosemary

We were at Hilton Head at the end of April. CQ's is the only restaurant you listed that we visited, and it was excellent--not at all stuffy. And our dinner was outstanding (it was the best one of our stay).

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Mike

I was at Eugene's last Friday night. This was our first time at this restaurant. Formerly the Charthouse, the scenery is fantastic overlooking salt marshes. The food was also fantastic as well as the service. Try the Parmesan Snapper....it was very tasty. It is a little pricey (average of $20 per dish), but it was well worth it. Enjoy your stay in HH...I cannot wait to go back next year.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:58 AM
dee

I love the Spartina Grill! It's one of my favorite restaurants on the island. Very creative menu, great food. I've been many times, and it was always outstanding.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Thanks for the responses. I'll throw out another one I've come across. Anyone been to the Redfish Grill?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Julie

I went to Redfish last night. The menu is limited but very good. Great wine list and selection by the glass. The atmosphere is slightly upscale but dressy shorts are fine. The catfish and the crab dip were delicious. Santa Fe Cafe is my favorite choice. All of their dishes are wonderful and the atmosphere is more casual.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:58 PM
vicki

Cafe Maxx is good,but right next door is La Normandie which is even better, both are small.

A new french place opened on New Orleans Rd. called Oliver's, wonderful food, service, nice music and the chief/owner plays classical guitar when not cooking.

Crane's was ok, just a steak house, a new steak place (Iron Wolf) opens today at Village of Wexford.

enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Joana

Just went to Alexander's and Red Fish, I thought they were better than Catch 22.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:32 PM
barnett

Red Fish is excellent. The wine list is broad and the seafood is excellent. It is a family restaurant with young children welcome. Medium price with excellent service.

Our favorite restaurants in HH would include: Le Bistro, Starfire, Truffles, Stripes, and CQs.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:09 AM
keepasecret

Brian,

Don't tell anyone, but the best restaurant on Hilton Head is Charlie's L'Etoile Verte in the Plantation Center, next to Sante Fe Cafe. Has been for 15 years. Only locals know, because Charlie doesn't advertise. Doesn't need to. The place is full every night. Reservations are a must. Think Paris bistro. Outstanding seafood, great wine list. And Terrell and Kathy are the best waitstaff duo anywhere.
Red Fish will not disappoint. In addition to a good wine list, there is a wine shop attached to the restaurant where you can buy wines at wine shop prices (not restaurant mark-up) and you'll be charged a $10 corkage fee. If you've always wanted to try that $55 cabernet sauvignon, but been intimidated by the $110 that restaurants charge (usually a 2x markup. Some places do a 3x markup, making that bottle $160 or so), then Red Fish has the deal. Buy it at the wine shop for $55, add the $10 corkage, and you're only paying $65. Very nice. And the food is very nice, too. Kind of a cuban/caribbean feel to the food.
CQ's isn't stuffy at all. Think you'll find it a good place.
If you like really good, well-prepared northern Italian food, check out La Spiaggia on Pope Avenue, next to New York Pizza. New York's owner owns both and he wanted a fine food alternative to the pizza place. The crowds and kids go to NYP, and the discerning few go to La Spiaggia. This is such a great place. Great service in the unobtrusive European style. And never crowded. ALthough I probably blew it by telling the world about it.
Enjoy!!!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:06 AM
where'dyou

Brian,

Give us a report. Where'd you eat? What'd you like/dislike?