where should I stay to see Bryce

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where should I stay to see Bryce

We will be visiting Bryce NP in Aug. and I need stuggestions as to where to stay. It sounds like Ruby's BW is very crowded with long lines. Not what I would go to a National park for... I found some nice sounding B & Bs in a town called Tropic but that seems much further away. Is it? Complicating all this is the fact that every inn/hotel seems to have almost the same name! Please make suggestions.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:57 AM

In my opinion there is only one place to stay and that is at a cabin IN Bryce National Park. The only reason to stay anywhere else is because you just can't get in there. Is that the case?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I'm with Patrick on staying in the park. If it is booked for your dates, just keep calling. It worked for me in summer of 03.

Also I highly recommend the horseback ride into the canyon from the Lodge in the park. Make reservations in advance.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Tropic is a little town about 20 minutes from entrance to Bryce. It has about 4 public buildings, including a restaurant called Hoodoo Restaurant (or Cafe) that I would recommend. It is housed in a building which includes candy shop, gift shop, gas station, general store (a real one that locals use), and convenience store. It is the real deal - I had a great conversation with women in candy shop section about what winters are like at Bryce.

National Park Service lodge (we did not stay there but ate there) is basic and somewhat rustic - certainly in keeping with tone of visit to Bryce. It was full when we were there in August 2 years ago despite our best efforts to catch a cancellation (we actually needed to rooms).

We ended up at Ruby's which was OK as a place to stay - agree not in keeping with setting and purpose of trip - but all we did was sleep there. It is much more convenient than staying in Tropic - easy to pop into Park to see sunrise or sunset - and we even made a later trip in to see if we could spot big animals (we did). So it is probably your choice - convenience or atmosphere.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:37 PM

We lucked out last summer and got a cancellation in the park's hotel. It was recently remodeled, and the rooms are very large and comfy. We ate a few times in Tropic--loved the little town. It's not far from Ruby's, and the drive is beautiful so you lose track of the time it takes to get there. We would rather be there than Ruby's, but we don't like touristy set-ups like that.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Tropic is not very far away from Bryce. We enjoyed staying at the Bryce COuntry Inn cabins. THere is a trailhead into Bryce from the road between the park and Tropic. The trail leads to MOssy Cave. A short but very scenic hike.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Is it necessary to have AC in Bryce in Aug? Are the cabins in Bryce air conditioned?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:39 AM

They do not have AC or phones or TV. Mine did have screened windows that open, oscilating fan, refrigerator and a fireplace.

I was there in late July and had no need for AC. The days before I had been at Zion and it was 100 degrees. It can be plenty warm during the day at Bryce but not horrible.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

what are the nights like (in terms of temperature) in Bryce in august?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Comfortable.
http://www.utah.com/weather/bryce.htm