Search

Heading to Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading to Oahu

We're heading to Oahu next week and would appreciate hearing about your experiences. The pros and cons on things to do and see, on island transportation, and on restaurants would be very helpful. It's nice to hear from someone who has "been there, done that." Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM

Just curious: Have you done a search here on "Oahu"? There are tons of thread of info already in the archives. That's where I learned what I need to know for our upcoming trip and cut and pasted them on "Word".

Have fun,
Steve
Maryland
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:37 AM
dcespedes

Hi Katie45--in reading your previous posts it looks as though you'll be staying in Honolulu? In terms of public trans there's Thebus as well as a trolley which is mostly confined to Honolulu and Waikiki. We just returned yesterday and enjoyed wonderful meals at Kincaids (seafood, etc) located at the Ward Center and Keo's (Thai food) in Waikiki. The only place we weren't too fond of is the Dole Pineapple Plantation. I hope you enjoy a wonderful trip

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have only been to Honolulu once but am going again in a couple weeks. The Bus was very easy to use www.thebus.org

I am interested in seeing the Doris Duke mansion called Shangri La, tours available thru Honolulu Academy of Arts, tickets at 1-866-DUKETIX. And Iolani Palace www.iolanipalace.org

I had a wonderful birthday dinner on the terrace at the Moana Surfrider (someone on Fodors mentioned there are free tours of this hotel available).

And if you end up staying on Beachwalk at Hawaiiana or Breakers, there are 3 excellent small restaurants right across the street- one sushi, one handmade soba noodles, one italian. Also a fantastic local fruit stand/store with to-go sliced up bowls of fresh papaya, pineapple, etc. for $3.50
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
dcespedes

Suze, do you have tickets to the Doris Duke mansion? We tried to see it but were told tickets must be purchased months in advance.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM

Yes, well almost, I emailed and they do have several times/tours available during the week I will be there. I still need to call their 800 number to confirm and purchase. Thanks for the reminder!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Maybe it depends on the time of the year? I called yesterday and they were sold out but only for the coming week. They offered several days and times available during my trip 3 weeks from now.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Spent a few days around Waikiki last fall, I was surprised how much I liked it, not being a fan of cities and crowds.
In have some notes at www.pspercy.com

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 10:09 AM
dcespedes

Hi Suze, well good for you! We were just there last week--perhaps it was a particularly busy week. We were bummed so now you must go and report back! Have a great trip!