Confused over Bryce Canyon accommodation

Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused over Bryce Canyon accommodation

We are looking at accommodation in Bryce Canyon but I am getting a bit confused at all the similarly named places, Bryce Canyon Resort, Bryce View Lodge, The Lodge at Bryce Canyon.
We want to stay in the NP if possible so that we can see the sunrise/sunset without driving in the dark, can anyone advise me on which is the best place to stay. Also we are thinking of doing 3 nights, is this enough - too much?
Many thanks for your help
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:39 AM

http://brycecanyonforever.com/

This is the only lodging in the park.

3 days is a long time at Bryce. Where else are you going on your trip? And what time of year?

To get to several of the viewpoints, you will have to drive whether you stay in the park or outside of it. It is a pretty small park and the lodging outside the entrance is not that far away from those viewpoints, maybe 10 -
15 minutes. Having said that, it is generally nicer to stay inside the park, just be aware that you would still be driving unless you restrict yourself to the immediate area by the lodge.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:43 AM

I am 99% sure there is only one lodge inside the park. There may have been different types of rooms/packages but there was only one place.

Just outside the park is Ruby's - it is privately owned and not part of the park but it is literally a three minute drive. I stayed at Ruby's and easily made sunrise and sunset. Ruby's is pretty big and there are several buildings on one side of the road and more on the other and they also may have different names/packages.

But really there are just those two options and both are fine for visiting the park. All other options are at least a half hour away. I think Ruby's looked nicer than the IN park lodging.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info, we are going to be there next May, and we planned to also see Zion NP whilst there and thought it may be easier to stay in one place (Bryce Canyon) and do a day trip to Zion rather than staying in two different accommodations.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM

To be honest, I think you'd be better off making Zion your base. There are more places to eat in Springdale (the town just outside the park) and more accommodation choices. Or stay in both locations, with two nights at Zion and one at Bryce (assuming three is all you can swing). Or split the time nights up between the two.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM

I agree with indyhiker. I would spend two nights in Zion and one at Bryce. Bryce is at a higher elevation and is going to be a lot colder than Zion.

Example. Arrive Bryce and see some of the park and sunset. Spend the night and see sunrise. Spend most of the day in Bryce and then late in the day head for Zion. Spend two nights either in Zion Lodge or outside in Springdale. You see the park from Springdale and it's gorgeous! In Bryce if you're not at the canyon rim, you only see forest.

Utahtea
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 09:41 AM

Utahtea is spot on as always. Don't use Zion as a base for Bryce or Bryce for Zion.

I've never understood the need for a "base"...isn't it easier to put your suitcase in the car and leave versus driving 3 hours back and forth?

Does everyone really unpack their suitcases into the dresser at the motel/hotel and then repack to leave?
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 09:52 AM

Exactly what peterboy said. It will take far less time to check out of one place and check into a new one than the 3 hour round trip drive.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM

I would stay 1 night @ Bryce and 2 Nights @ Zion. Bryce Lodge and Zion Lodge both "IN PARK" I think the cabins are the best at both spots.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM

completely agree with two nights Zion, one Bryce
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM

Everyone has given you good advice. I just wanted to mention, for others who may read this thread, that the Lodge at Bryce Canyon and Ruby's Inn are not the only two options for lodging. Bryce View Lodge is right across the street from Ruby's - in fact, it's owned by Ruby's Inn. We stayed there when we visited Bryce and it worked really well for us.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 02:25 PM
J62

Funny story about sunrise at Bryce. I was there in May and went to Bryce Point to see the sunrise. Several busloads of tourists from all over the world were there too, 99% of them pointing there cameras due east to snap a photo of the sun rising.

They were totally missing the point. Sunrise & to a lesser extent sunset at Bryce is ALL about the light on and shadows cast by the hoodoos, not the orb rising in the sky.

The morning I was there it was cloudy so there wasn't the kind of light/dark contrast the post card pics are made of, but it's still fun to get out and see. Then go back to bed for a while...

Agree with the others. Three nights is a long time at Bryce. If you are not a hiker you can see everything you need to in 1 full day. With only 3 days I'd do 1 night in Bryce, see the sunrise, then immediately head to Zion for the rest of the day and 2 nights. There is much more varied terrain and sights at Zion.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone, we may now revise our plan a little and stay in Zion as suggested and then go on to Bryce.
This is part of a 3 week holiday we are planning for next May travelling from San Francisco to San Diego and trying to see as much as we can so I'm sure I will be asking for lots more advice on the other areas we plan to go to before we make our final decisions.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 03:02 AM

Ideally you'd arrive at Bryce in the afternoon. Spend that afternoon driving to the overlooks. Spending the night there will acclimate you to the altitude while you sleep. Then you can be up for sunrise and then be all acclimated for hiking into the canyon among the hoodoos...a must do for a first visit to Bryce.

Some folks from lower elevations have breathing issues if they arrive at Bryce and immediately start hiking. If you have wine with dinner, expect an extra kick from it due to the altitude.

No need to rush off to Zion though since it is only a couple of hours away (allowing time for sightseeing along the way).
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 11:13 AM

J62,
I disagree with your idea of a sunset/sunrise photo.
Your part of the 1% that thinks they are right over the other 99% just because that's the way you see it? Maybe you missed the point that the orb in the sky is pretty cool to see come up or down over the horizon. Yes, shadows are cool and even awesome in a place like Grand Canyon or Bryce, but still the point of a sunrise is just that. Personally I think Bryce has it backwards. I like Sunrise Point for Sunset and Sunset for Sunrise, but either will do. I prefer my sunrise/sunset photos to have some clouds, but not overcast. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying that's what I like.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
J62

good points spiro.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM

J62
I got to thinking about that 1%. I prefer Delicate Arch in Arches at Sunrise over Sunset. So, maybe I guess I'm part of that 1% too. I also think the best shadows I've ever seen were at Arches--The 3 Gossips.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 06:53 AM

A couple of other ideas for things to do at Beyce......

Consider a trail ride through the canyon. You will be able to go further and see more on horseback. Not that they walk faster but you won't get as tired.

If they are doing the stargazing/light pollution ranger talk, it is one of the best ranger talks we have ever seen. If it is a clear night they will have their telescopes set up. Bryce is one of the darkest places so great for star gazing.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice, although we have now changed our minds again and decided to just do two nights at Bryce.
After looking at a website 'everytrail' it seems that the walks at Zion are much more challenging than at Bryce. We won't be getting there till late afternoon and will just want to chill out and then the following day do a couple of easy to moderate walks, maybe a horseback ride, as we will have to be up early the next day for another long drive to Monument Valley.
We will also be driving from the grand canyon heading towards San Diego but will stop halfway, looking at the map, Phoenix seems the obvious choice but we don't really want to be in the middle of a city for just one nights quick stopover, can anyone recommend either a small town or somewhere on the outskirts of Phoenix?
Many thanks again
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 04:25 AM
J62

Yes, there are many hikes at Zion that are challenging, but there are also many that are about the same effort as those at Bryce. Zion is very accessible for those of any activity level.

But there is nothing wrong with your plan. The first afternoon you can drive to the various lookout points along the rim. Be sure to go all the way to the farthest point which is up at 9000' elevation.

The next day hike and or horesback ride.

You can also find more strenuous hikes at Bryce if you wish by combining several shorter trails into a bigger loop, for example. The Bryce NP visitor guide has a list of the various hikes.

The trail most traveled is Queens Garden (down) + Navajo loop strung together. You can add on Peekaboo loop to make a longer 7mi total figure 8 loop that takes you away from the crowds.

Fairyland loop is a much more remote, peaceful, beautiful, but vigorous 10mi hike where you'll encounter only a handful of other hikers the whole day.

The horseback ride will take you around the Peekaboo loop, so for you I'd recommend QG/Navajoo loop as a walk in the am, then a later ride to explore Peekaboo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -