What Would You Do???

Search

What Would You Do???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Would You Do???

Those of you who've followed the saga know that DP canceled joining me in Kauai to nurse "Duncan" -- our very sick kitty. Duncan's still hanging in, but is still very sick.

So, Songdoc's DP has a nonrefundable ticket on ATA (that basically only flies to Hawaii) that must be used -- or forfeited -- by March. Songdoc has a free ticket as well ... so, it looks like we'll be returning to Hawaii!!!

But I'm agonizing over two decisions:

1) I've been to Kauai twice (for 2 weeks each time) and have fallen in love with it. I'm comfortable and know my way around. I've already seen the "must-see" sights, so future trips are just to relax and enjoy -- not to sightsee.

I know I'll be returning to Kauai again next summer (for the Kauai Music Festival) ... so do I go back to the place I already know I love -- or try Maui this winter?

FYI, I spent a week on the Big Island and enjoyed VNP and the Place of Refuge -- but not nearly as much as Kauai. FYI, nightlife, snorkeling, and fine dining are of no importance.

What I love is nature: i.e., the Napali Cliffs by boat, Kalalau Lookout and the Kalalau Trail; Ke'e Beach; the Kilauea Lighthouse; Hanalei; Waimea Canyon, Kok'kee Park; Maha'ulepu Beach, etc ...

So, do I go to Maui ... or return to Kauai?

If the answer is Maui -- what area do you recommend?

If you say Kauai, that leads me to another dilemma:

2) I LOVED staying at SeaLodge (#G-2) in Princeville. I felt as if I'd found my little magic spot on Earth. The views are absolutely breathtaking and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else next summer ... But I know the North Shore is notoriuosly rainy in the winter.

Unfortunately, my crystal ball is in the shop -- so I can't predict how much rain there will be this winter; which days it will fall on; -- or how much of it will fall during the daytime. But I can predict that I will probably not be a happy camper if it pours for entire days when I want to be strolling on beaches.

So ... if I decide on Kauai, do I look for someplace in Poipu with a view to match SeaLodge's (and drive North one or two days if the weather cooperates) ... or do I take my chances and hope for a dry spell?

What would you do??? I'm having a hard time with this one

Thanks!
PS. DP doesn't care -- so he's no help!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your kitty.
Can you tell me what DP means?
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Definitely a tough call. I think since you'll be returning to Kauai in the summer, I would go to Maui.

Sounds like you like similar things that my DH and I do. We just returned from Kauai and also love the SeaLodge condos & area (A2 the first time, H6 this time).

We went to Maui last year (late August/early Sept) and stayed several days at Anya's House - it's a bit past Hana in Kipahulu, which obviously makes for a LONG drive before "getting home." But it's gorgeous and close to hiking, Oheo Gulch (7 pools), Hamoa Beach (which we loved in the mornings - DH had a blast body surfing). I'm not sure how the weather impacts the Hana/Kipahulu area though, perhaps someone else can provide insight.

We also stayed a few days in a condo in Kihei... I truly hated it. The condo was ok, but Kihei was so crowed and touristy after Kipahulu I felt like we were in LA. When we return to Maui we'll skip the southwest for lodging and head to something less crowded, Napili or Kapalua areas up northwest.

Oh, the web address for Anya's House in Kipahulu is http://www.anyashouse.com/default.asp. Her neighbor is an organic farm (Ono) - we went on a tour there and it was a fun afternoon of learning about their farm, fruits, etc. They also have a huge table food of all their foods to sample (we were STUFFED when we left!). They also grow some great coffee as well. http://www.onofarms.com/
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:31 PM

I'm not sure this will be as helpful, since I haven't been to Kauai...

But I went to Maui and loved it. If you love to hike and see nature, then consider looking into the Hana Highway and Haleakala. The Hana Highway is a drive that will take a full day - lots of hairpin turns and single lanes at times but it goes through the lush, beautiful forest on the eastern side of Maui. There are many beautiful waterfalls and you can stop and hike around or bring your bathing suit and towel and take a dip on the black sand beach. My husband and I did this on our first day in Maui and loved it. We packed a cooler with drinks and sandwiches for the trip.

Haleakala is the dormant volcano - you drive through some pretty country to get up there and there's lots of hiking - we hiked down into the crater, which was fine, but the hike out was tough (and I'm not a couch potato) - maybe the altitude had something to do with it.

We stayed in Makena where the water is more calm and were able to snorkel off the beach. If you go out enough, you can see Turtle Town.

I hope this gives you something to consider for Maui. And this reminds me of how much I miss those Maui Gold pineapples!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:55 AM

If you stick with Kauai the westside around Kekaha or Waimea is an option. I read about construction in the Poipu area so you would be away from that and it is the drier side. You would have easy access to Waimea Canyon and the Napali Coast.
I noticed no mention of Oahu there are several places north of Honolulu for hiking.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:09 AM

FYI - the winter rainy season hits ALL our islands, not just Kaua`i. 8-)

While the south side of all the islands are typically drier in the winter, the rain can hit any part of any island anytime...or sometimes the whole island gets a winter deluge. We live north shore Kaua`i, and there are winter days when we're dry, but Po`ipu or Kekaha are getting pounded with rain.

Like you said Songdoc, no crystal ball to help you make this decision...
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:39 AM

ATA flies almost everywhere, so there's no reason to limit yourself to Hawaii. Altho obviously there is nothing wrong with Hawaii.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Ah Songdoc...sending good vibes for Duncan. We've been down this road with ailing animals and it's difficult.

In terms of the trip I think I would opt for Maui knowing that another trip to Kauai is less than a year away. You've found a perfect place to stay on Kauai...but have doubts due to the weather. You might not be as happy staying elsewhere on Kauai, and if you do stay at SeaLodge and it rains a lot you'll be second guessing yourself.

On the other hand, personally I prefer Kauai to Maui...so peaceful, lovely, calming. How about one week on Maui and one on Kauai at SeaLodge?

Good luck with Duncan and with your choice of island (you know you'll have a great time whichever island you choose).

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM

What does DP mean?
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Dear Partner? like DH or DW
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Exactly; DP = Dear Partner. (And the way he's been with Duncan, I think it should be VDP -- VERY Dear Partner)

I guess there should also be a DK -- Dear Kitty

Well, so far it seems the consensus is Maui ... but I'm just not sure I'll like it as much. I get the sense that Maui is more big resorts, nightlife, and touristy than Kauai. And by the way, it's not that I'm looking for hiking -- but for natural beauty; scenic vistas; beautiful areas to go for walks ...

Anya's House looks fantastic -- and if I decide on Maui, that will definitely be a place I consider staying. But I got a little nervous at the idea of it being a long drive.

In Kauai, I love that from Princeville it's such a short, scenic drive to Hanalei and so many other beautiful areas.

Auntie ... your point about the rainy season applying to ALL the islands is much appreciated. I guess if I'm trying to increase my odds of sunshine, I'll have to take that into consideration and look for the areas that tend to get less rain -- regardless of which island.

Mike -- from Nashville (where I live), ATA only flies to Hawaii (with Southwest as a codeshare partner); and to LaGuardia -- but with no nonstops and dreadful schedules. Since my free ticket is with ATA (not Southwest), those are my only options.

All I want is a GUARANTEE that I'll have good weather on the North Shore. Is that so much to ask???

I can handle a day or two of rain ... or a few showers every day. I just don't want to feel stuck inside day after day.

Although ... if that were to happen AND IF the weather were better on other parts of the island, I could drive 90 minutes and be in sunshine. Hmmm...
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Ahhh - life is rough! Two trips to Hawaii in the near future, if only I had the same tough choice. How can anyone go wrong with a trip to any of the Hawaiian islands? I'd go for Maui as most of the posts said since you get to go to the other island shortly anyway.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

I can hardly believe it ... but Songdoc has FINALLY made a decision. It's ... (drum roll, please) ....

Back to the condo I loved so much on the North Shore of Kauai.

Why? I typically want to see someplace new ... but this trip is just about relaxing -- NOT sightseeing. If I go to Maui, I know I'd be driving long distances every day to be sure I saw all the "must-sees."

I already know that I LOVE the North Shore and the condo I rented last time (SeaLodge G-2 through Nakearentals.com). We're going Jan. 16th for nine days (and, yes, that's the height of the rainy season).

I'm trusting it's not going to pour all day every day. And if it does, we can drive 90 minutes -- if it's drier at Poipu or Waimea Canyon

Otherwise, I plan to bring a good book and sit in front of that glorious view, watching the ocean and being grateful--whether it rains or not.

I'll consider adding Maui when I return for the Kauai music festival in July. So, I'll have another decision to agonize over -- but not for a while!

Thanks to all for your help.

PS.The kitty's still hanging on, but I can't imagine he'll still be with us by January. If he is ... well, that'll be great--and we'll deal with having someone take care of him. We're grateful for, and enjoying this "borrowed" time with him.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:27 AM
iceeu2

Songdoc, you made the right choice

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:30 AM

i agree. i'd definitely would go to kauai again. i'd love to just sit on the beach for days on end to just hang out. alone time of course.