Maui "equivalent" of Kauai favorites!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I have been to Kauai twice and we absolutely love it!!! What we love most is the North Shore, Hanalei, Secret Beach and Brennecke's Beach. Each time in Kauai we have stayed at the Sealodge in Princeville on the North Shore.

I would love to visit Maui but I know nothing about the island...I need your help. For all you Maui visitors who have been to Kauai...
1) What would be the Maui "equivalent" to Kauai's North Shore?
2) What would be the Maui "equivalent" to the Sealodge condos in Princeville?
3) What would be the Maui "equivalent" to the adorable & quaint Hanalei?
4) What would be the Maui "equivalent" to my favorite Kauai beaches?

Thanks in advance for all your replies!
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Kauai's north shore and Hanalei are very unique areas, there is no equivalent in Maui or any place in Hawaii. One can point out similarities with other areas but they will be skin deep and trivial.

You should visit Maui, but approach with an open mind and don't go looking for Hanalei.

So my answers are:

1) None. However Maui has Haleakala & Hana which are unique.

2) Probably a condo complex in the Napili Bay area? Maui has a TON of condos. You can take a look at aerial photos of them here, which gives you feel for how they compare to the location of Sealodge:

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/maui-condos.aspx#mapstart

Once again Sealodge is unique in that it's on a small cliff and close to a secluded beach accessed via a forest trail (no such thing in Maui).

3) Nothing compares to Hanalei in all of Hawaii.

4) Secret Beach is very unique. Maui's beaches have a different character - less vegetation, more people, finer sand (on average), less "wild" etc. Perhaps Big Beach is a little similar. The web site I posted above shows all Maui's beaches with aerial photos too so you can explore them. I guess you like Brennecke for boogie boarding? Most Maui beaches are more interesting. Polo beach is similar and also has boogie boarding.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:37 AM

Aloha,
I totally agree with hgjames -- Kauai's north shore is unparalleled, but there are wonderful choices in Maui as well.

One thing I would add is that Upcountry in Maui is very quaint and engaging. There's a wonderful overview of a driving tour here http://gohawaii.about.com/od/mauisig...untry_maui.htm.

My first choice is the Napili/Kahana area for lodging, too.

By the way, next to Sealodge in Princeville is The Cliffs Resort, which is also a wonderful complex. Some units have great ocean views such as this one www.keihasparadise.com.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:55 AM

Love, love, love Kauai.

Go to Maui because you want to, not to find equivalents. They don' exist.

Favorite beaches in Maui: All the beaches south from Keawakapu in Kihei to Big Beach in Makena. Kauai's beaches don't compare to some of these for snorkeling, long expanses and for the sheer numbers of turtles and fish found offshore.

We stayed here in Makena and have found nothing like on Kauai:

http://www.makenaoceanfrontcottage.com/index.html

There is nothing like like Hana on Kauai.
There is nothing like Hanalei on Maui.
There is nothing like Na Pali on Maui (maybe west Maui road)
There is nothing like Haleakala on Kauai
The high end eating is better on Maui.
The low end eating is better on Kauai.

These are of course my own flawed opinions and could be debated...
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm not trying to "recreate" Kauai when in Maui. I guess it comes from the feeling of being so solid in knowing what I like to do and where I like to stay in Kauai. I don't know much about Maui so I would just like some similarities between my favorites on Kauai and where it can be "found" on Maui.

For example:
1) I love the North Shore of Kauai: where would I stay on Maui?
2) I love Brennecke's Beach for boogie boarding: where can we do this on Maui?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM

That's the problem.... you might not be trying to "recreate" Kauai when in Maui, but you do want to find similarities when in actuality the islands are very different.

The North Shore of Kauai is a tropical, lush paradise. Lots of greenery, and lots of dramatic cliffs. You won't find that on Maui. The closest you might get to the view would be this:

http://www.cliffsedge.com/

I stayed in the Bali Cottage a few years ago. BUT... there is literally NOTHING around the cottage. It's a destination in itself and is a really long drive down a pot hole filled gravel road to get there (translation: you won't hop in the car and expect to be at a restaurant in 15 minutes, because it will take you 25 minutes just to get to the "real" road). It was perfect for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to be really active and exploring the area.

I like Paia area for it's funkiness but it is not nearly as quaint and cute as Hanalei.

For boogie boarding, check out these Fodors recommendations for best spots:

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...y_2201539.html

I love both Maui and Kauai, but for completely different reasons because they are completely different islands.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM

1) What would be the Maui "equivalent" to Kauai's North Shore?

I believe that would be the east side or the area surrounding Hana. But "equivalent" means it is very lush, lots of rain and waterfalls. Hana is much less develop and then there is that road thing.

2) What would be the Maui "equivalent" to the Sealodge condos in Princeville?

I suggest looking a Kahana Sunset. Equivalent in price maybe a bit more but it has its own beach.

3) What would be the Maui "equivalent" to the adorable & quaint Hanalei?

There is no town in Hawaii that equal the charm of Hanalei in my opinion. Lahina is a charming town but in a much different way.

4) What would be the Maui "equivalent" to my favorite Kauai beaches?

I agree with Big Beach. I personally love DT Fleming Beach and I like Napili. Having said that, these beaches are more like poipu than north shore Kauai beaches.

Disclosure, I love Kauai, I like Maui.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM

Looking at pictures of Hanalei (I think I might have been there 30+ years ago, but do not remember for sure), it strikes me that it's a little like Haleiwa on Oahu. Is that closer?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Haleakala was absolutely a highlight on Maui for me. Amazing. I also enjoyed kicking around in the town of Lahaina for something lively, bars, shows, restaurants, galleries, historic walking tour, etc.
Sorry never been to Kauai so I have no "equivalents" to contribute.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 12:24 AM

I loved reading all these replies, having just returned from Kauai, and also stayed at Sealodge, which we just loved. I am researching where to stay in Maui for next year and also would loved to stay somewhere similar to Sealodge, as I feel it was the best place ever.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 05:55 AM

There really isnt an equivalent, but as a Princeville type travellers too we go to Kapalua
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:06 AM

I wonder if louistraveler5 found what he/she was looking for on Maui as he/she started this back in February. Have you gone yet?