Songdoc's Kauai vs. Maui dilemma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "regulars" know that I'm addicted to Kauai's North Shore. It's as if my soul found its home there. My idea of utter bliss is sitting on the patio at a SeaLodge condo and marveling at the breathtaking view; watching the sunrises and sunsets over the ocean; long walks at Anini beach and watching the surfers as the sun goes down on Hanalei Bay; the cliff walk just north of Kapa'a; and watching the waves crash at Ke'e beach -- with the Napali cliffs as a backdrop. I love the mystical, misty mountains and the luscious lushness And when I want another version of breathtaking, I love Waimea Canyon and Kok'ee.

Fine dining is not important -- and I don't snorkel. I'm not looking for "activities" -- as much as beautiful scenery.

So ... with all that in mind ... when I return to Kauai for the annual Kauai Music Festival should I take a week and visit Maui? I hear people rave about Maui -- and I read the thread about all the things people love about it. I'll probably take about three weeks for the trip, so it's not that I'd be cramming things in. I just wonder if Maui stands a chance of living up to, or exceeding, the place that has my heart -- Kauai's North Shore. And if so ... knowing what I like, is there a specific area you'd recommend?

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

PS. I spent a week on the Big Island -- and it was very nice. We had a good time and especially enjoyed the Place of Refuge. But I wouldn't even put the B.I. in the same league as Kauai.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM

I have spent time in Maui and Kauai. It's like choosing between the Beatles and Rolling Stones. So different and so great in their own unique way. Why deprive your self of either? There are many fabulous places in Maui: the road to Hana drive, Kapalua, the drive north of Kapalua, the drive up to Haleakela, many great snorkeling spots, Kaanapali Beach. Get the book Maui Revealed to find out how the locals get to all the good spots.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Songdoc - I see that you're determined to continue making me green with envy...

I really have nothing to contribute to this thread other than to express my severe jealousy of your traveling lifestyle.

But for what it's worth, I much prefer Kauai over Maui. Maui is a bit busy for my tastes. When we go, we prefer the Napili Bay area.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:08 AM

Maui Upcountry is my favorite spot on earth. Fields of green, horses grazing, jacaranda trees in bloom....looking down the slopes at the blue, blue ocean below.
See if you can find a place to stay in Makawao or Kula.
(Harder to find than a few years ago because of crackdown on
"illegal" rentals.)
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:24 AM

If you like the north shore of Kauai you might like the rugged, jungly eastern coast from Huelo to Kipahulu. Almost as rainy. Just as many bugs, plus Hana has cows, so there are cow patties all over the place. There are rentals in Huelo, Hana and Kipahulu.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:30 AM

This site as some of the very few still "legal" rentals on the north shore and upcountry.

http://www.donnachameleon.com/index.shtml

Barbara? Have you rented from her before?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM

I think it's good to try something different for a change. One week in Maui would be my choice.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM

I enjoyed Kauai - as I have all of the Hawaiian islands - but it's Maui that has captured my heart. Iao Valley and Upcountry are the places that capture my soul. Give it a try sometime, even if you end up going back "home" to Kauai!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM

I have been to all the major islands and Kauai is my favorite. The beauty and non-commercialization is what draws us to Kauai.

We haven't been to Maui in a long time. There are some great places that I would say could win your heart but for us, it is to "busy" for us.

One of our favorite places when we were there was the drive out past Wailea/Makena. We saw lots of pods of dolphins right off the beach area.

Can't hurt to explore a new place to see what you might find
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM

if you have to ask
you'll never know
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Is Tunnels Beach the best in Kauai for scenery, snorkeling and sunset.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM

nope!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Been ten years since I last visited Maui but it was getting built up even then. It is popular for a reason though, it is really beautiful although not in comparison to Kauai. I agree with another poster that the Napili area might be a nice fit for you, lots of nice condos in that area.

Have a great trip, not returning to Kauai until September.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Ok, what is the best beach on Kauai for snorkeling, watching the sunset and scenery ??
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM

"Is Tunnels Beach the best in Kauai for scenery, snorkeling and sunset."

Tunnels? What's Tunnels? Don't they have a big one of those in Boston?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM

andrew8....it really depends on the time of the year (too rough on the N. Shore in the winter) but Tunnels is a great beach to snorkel and relax.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Look at maui but not too closely. I spent 8 days there 2 weeks ago. The winds were very high 30 mph constant so all water sports were off. The road to Hana is a very painful trip. It takes forever at 15 mph to get there and once there you want to leave. The scenery is breath taking at times but mostly it is a slow, very windy, very narrow road. I zip lined in the upcountry and it was fantastic. Met a group of ranchers on the south end with an impromptu barbeque on the side of the 1 lane highway and they fed me well. I also had the opportunity to ride their horses for an hour and the views were great. You cant buy this ride usually and the people were very friendly. luckily I had a case of beer in the trunk to contribute to the cause. Scenery was awesome. Ka'anapali was a tourist trap and expensive, very expensive. I travelled on the road from Ka'anapali over to the east side to the Airport on another very rugged road. The scenery was nice but not outstanding.
I was on the Big Island in December for 10 days and loved it. Much nicer and more varied scenery and not so touristy as Maui. I am planning on visiting Kauai this fall for 2 weeks and have never been there before.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM

We will be staying at the Maui Kannapali Villas, for the fifth time, next week. We stay in the Dolphin unit 171. The beach is so peaceful and beautiful. We are just a f4ew yards from the sand. There is even a cute little restuarant right on the waters edge. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Maui. Then we are going to the Hyatt (booked through Costco) for five nights. Our son recommended the Hyatt; a bit of a splurge if you ask me. We really enjoy the water at Kanappali better than Kauai, as the water is calmer and not rockey like in Kauai.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM

We have been to both Maui and Kaui many times. I like both and would like to get back to Kaui again. We like something quiet and scenic. For us some of the condos at Kapalua fit that bill. We go out early walks, drives, and a lot of relaxing. Kannapali is one thing, Kapalua is another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -