Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What travel related magazines do you subscribe to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Steve

There are plenty out there. Which ones are the best?

I only take one currently, Islands. I love it.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Mare

Favorites: "Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel" and "National Geographic Traveler".

Okay: "Travel Holiday" and "Conde Naste Traveler". Travel Holiday doesn't go into much depth, and I am tired of Conde Naste's "top (whatever)" lists.

Won't be renewing: "Travel and Leisure". Too upscale for my tastes.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Statia

Caribbean Travel & Life, and Rick Steve's Europe thru the Back Door.

I've had many subscriptions over the years, but found that I tend to use CT&L the most.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Wendy

I have also decided to not re new my Conde Nast and Travel and Leisure. But I always stay current on my National Geographic Traveler.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:59 AM
xxx

Conde Nast Traveler.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Dale

Travel & Leisure is my hands-down favorite. Conde Nast and National Geographic also find their way into my mailbox. Hate Frommer's as it recommends places of questionable quality just because they are cheap.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Lou

Another vote against Frommer's. I've never read NG Traveler...is it really that good?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Tina

I like NGT as it offers more realistic & affordable travel information --- Conde Nast and Travel & Leisure mags are beautiful & fun to flip thru, but that's not my style or budget for travel.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Lori

Don't subscribe to Conde Nast anymore...too stuffy.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Bill

Caribbean Travel & Life (my favorite dream book) and National Geographic Traveller.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:54 PM
heather

I subscribe to Conde Naste Traveler, National Geographic, Travel/Holiday & Travel & Leisure. I enjoy all of these magazines and look forward to reading them each month. Have planned vacations from articles in all of them.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Park

Elite Traveler and Andrew Harper's Hideaway Report.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 01:37 AM
hens4th

Conde Nast Traveler (yeah, too upscale, but superb writing); Islands (excellent mag, great for dreaming, photography to die for); Nat'l Geo Traveler (good overall, not as in-depth as others, but informative); and AF Budget Travel (no "quality" writing, but excellent reality info). I gave up Travel Holiday as unnecessary - it doesn't fit any niche that the others can't fill.....

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:52 AM
SA

Conde Nast. It is a bit stuffy but there is a lot of useful info & good ideas about places I would not think to go. Bon Appetit (I know this is not a travel mag) also has a good travel article nearly every month.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:07 AM
nina

Thanks to my kids school magazine fundraisers, I subscribe to way too many magazines. For travel I get Travel and Leisure (my favorite), National Geographic Traveler and Conde Nast. I sometimes buy Frommers Budget travel on newstands. He does have some great suggestions in there.

I agree with Bon Apetite as a great travel magazine as well as my favorite cooking magazine. Their yearly feature magazines are outstanding. They devote an entire issue to a specific region. In the last few years they've done European coast, Paris, Tuscany and London. Great info for hotels, restaurants and beautiful photographs.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Serena

We received a gift subscription to "Country Discoveries" and we have found it to be fun and interesting.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Laura

Hawaii magazine and Conde Nast. I occasionally pick up a copy of Islands.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Dr. Head

Another one that is not strictly travel related, but a good source of domestic travel info is Midwest Living.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Don

Sunset has good travel info on the West. We get Oregon Coast and Northwest Travel for ideas on local trips.

We also get Conde Nast, National Geographic Traveler, Travel Holiday, Travel and Leisure, and Arthur Frommer's.

Can't travel as much as we'd like to, but getting a travel magazine in the mail is the next best thing. Maybe someday we'll get to see more of the places we read about...

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:57 AM
nyc

Like another poster, I would recommend National Geographic Traveler and Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel.

While it's true that Frommer's might skimp on quality to recommend a cheap place, as Frommer himself put it: "how many Americans make $100,000?" which is what he estimates one needs to stay regurlarly at the Travel & Leisure and Conde Nast places. Frommer's gives plenty of good tips on alternative vacations and on cultural/educational/volunteer oriented travels. Also, Frommer himself does cover other facets of travel, and he did call attention to the slave labor practices of the cruise ship industry (there were some reforms after the public outcry).

T & L and Conde Nast have cool photos and celebrity writers, but too often come across as advertisements for wealthy self-indulgence.