Reload this Page >

Getting the best hotel price

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 09:53 AM
gail

What is the best way of getting good priced accomodation, do you get good prices by direct email contact with individual hotels or do you need to telephone and negoitiate verbally? Following advice given on this site- I tried looking for hotel accomodation at www.priceline, bidingfortravel etc. but it appears that you can only book double rooms - does anyone know sites to look for double double rooms? - We need 2 rooms for our party of 6 for a trip in October.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:00 AM
jj

I try both the 800 number and the property itself. I ask for the best rate for the date. Then I ask if there are any other discounts or packages available. If you are eligible for AAA or AARP, ask for those rates.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:07 AM
gail

I usually find that the best rates are not from hotel - either website or phone. I have found no clear consistent cheapest method - it seems to be different each time. So, if you are a recreational bargain hunter like me, you can try Expedia and Travelocity and then look for discount hotel sites. For example, washingtondchotels.com had great rates for that city. I have gone to Google and typed in discount hotels and then the city and found sites specific to each city or region.

As far as Priceline - check again, since I just booked 2 doubles at the same time for Baltimore this summer. Obviously, the downside of this site is you don't get to pick a specific hotel. Also, beware, Priceline will not guarantee a room can accomodate more than 2 people (it may only have one queen bed for example).

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Reservationist

I agree with all the advice given. The best way to get the good deals is to look at all your options: online, travel agencies, the hotel, and the 1-800 #. Always ask for the lowest rate and what that rate includes.

Websites often have full-prepayment, nonrefundable policies, whereas the hotel/1-800 # may have easier booking policies.

Like jj said, let the person you are speaking to know anything that might qualify you for a discount.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Statia

I generally check Expedia.com, and the likes, first. Then, I check the hotel website directly. I often find that the hotel site has an "internet rate" which is cheaper than the other rates listed, and also cheaper than the rate I get on Expedia (w/o the cancellation fee, also).

I don't call the hotels simply because I'm overseas and it costs me, but you might also be able to negotiate a lower rate that way, as some have said.

Good luck.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:48 PM
David

Try Quikbook.com or hotel.com

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 03:14 PM
amy

If you use Priceline you can book two rooms, but as you said you are only assured that the room can sleep 2 people. If you "chance it" you could book via Priceline and then call the property direct and request a larger room (offer to pay the extra charge - I have done this and by being polite got the extra bed free of charge). But, it is risky . . . I have not found one "tried and true" method of getting the best deal - it's time consuming but worth it to check "every angle"

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 04:04 PM
BSG

Hi,

I found some great rates on hoteldiscounts.com and hotels.com!
I've also received a better rate by talking to the manager.

Depending on the season and the location of the lodging! If it's in a business area, rooms are available during the holiday weekends!

Good Luck!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Donna

I agree with all of the above. There is no "best" way, and I've found each time is a whole new endeavor. It really pays to shop like the dickens, as far ahead as possible. My plan is always to book the best room I can find that can be cancelled and keep shopping. Depending upon when and where you're going and what the fill rate is, the prices often go way down just before your visit.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:24 PM
chris downs

Planning my first to NY and have done a ton of looking and asking. The best deal I found in Midtown is on Orbitz.com
I got a queen bed at Park West Hotel for $99 a night. It looks like a small but nice place.
Anyone been there?

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Owen O'Neill

It has come up in this forum regularly but I've yet to read a report from ayone who's stayed there. I can tell you that it's in a good neighborhood, very convenient location, looks nice on the outside and has an attractive lobby area. I suggest asking for a room in the middle of the building or facing an airshaft. There's nothing to look at in terms of a view on the front side but there is a major building going up across the street. If you sleep past 7 AM there may be a bit of construction noise on weekdays.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Sue

Just got back from New York. I got the best deal at quickbook.com. The best thing is you don't have to pay upfront.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Susan

I'd suggest you use all the suggested ways to find the cheapest rate at a hotel you choose, and then have a look at biddingfortravel.com and see what comparable rooms are going for on priceline. You may find you can book three rooms on priceline for the price of two, giving your party more room to spread out.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:54 AM
dawn

lOOKS LIKE IT'S HARD TRYING TO FIND THE BEST DEAL!! HAVE YOU ANYWHERE IN MIND TO STAY OR ARE YOU OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS, NOT THAT I'VE ANY?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Joe

What about the strategy of calling the hotel the day you want to stay (maybe around 4pm) and asking if there are any rooms available and what their best rate is? If they have something available, you would hope they would give you it at a very good price because most likely, it is likely that no one was going to occupy that room for that night. If that fails, you stay at the hotel you originally booked (which has 5pm cancellation policy). I was thinking of doing this for some of the really expensive hotels in NYC just to see how much they would drop the price. Wouldn't a hotel manager want an occupied room at a low profit margin (with hopes that the customer will buy ancillary services, such as Spa, restaurant, etc.) than an unoccupied room?

Has anyone tried this?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:43 AM
sandy

We have had great luck with quikbook.com

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Marj

I don't think there is any one way. As mentioned already, you have to check booking sites, hotel site, call 800 #, call hotel directly (if general 800 # for chain) and compare. Also always ask about discounts or specials, they don't always volunteer this information.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Marj

Priceline can not guarantee the room can accommodate more than 2 but we've used it several times (family of 4) and never had a problem. After we get the result, we call the hotel and request a double bedded room (and additional rollaway). We've had success in Phil., Boston, DC, Scottsdale, Tucson and some smaller places. We also did it in NYC for some visiting family and ended up with a suite that could accommodate 5 and included breakfast!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:02 AM
xxx

You will get the best rate from calling the hotel directly. You will NOT get the best rate from calling the 800 number.