Best discount hotel site

Search

Best discount hotel site

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best discount hotel site

Can anyone please tell me the best hotel discount website?
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:29 AM

I've found there is no "best" resource. You can download a free program at www.travelaxe.com that checks half a dozen or more of them all at once for you.

If you don't have to know the specific hotel ahead of time and are sure you're going, Hotwire and Priceline almost always result in the very lowest rates, by far. Sometimes Expedia comes up with a terrific rate, but you really have to do your homework before booking with them, as often their rates are ridiculously higher than any other resource, including going directly through the hotel's website.
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:44 AM

I agree with Djbooks. For NYC, many people like quikbooks.com but Pricleine & I guess Hotwire will usually beat them out. Recently people have been mentioning Hotres.com also but for certain places, Expedia gets great rates too. Sidestep.com sounds like travelaxe-a program that you download for checking lowest price.
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:12 AM
TC

I think it depends on your definition of "best". While you may be able to get a lower price using Priceline, etc., you may have a huge headache if you need to cancel for any reason or change your dates or have pretty much any problem. Check this web site for numerous postings about Priceline problems. Many of the discounters require total prepayment at the time of booking and charge a significant fee for cancellations or changes - others don't. Some discounters have excellent relationships with hotels which almost always result in a room upgrade for their customers. Some discount agents have personally visited the hotels they recommend and therefore can give great advice on the location and surrounding amenities. IMHO "best" isn't always about price.

FYI: I use quikbook.com, express-res.com or work directly with the hotel - not through an 800# central booking. If its just about price, you have to shop them all and compare, compare, compare.
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Give this one a try:
www.HotelKingdom.com
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Try this one:
www.180096hotel.com
Good Luck!
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Once you get your range of prices and decide on a hotel, try their actual national reservation line by telephone and look for any hidden discounts you may be eligible for (AAA, AARP, etc.). We got a great rate with Ramada using a corporate discount and only had to give the name of the company we work for. Good luck.
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Just to add to the last reply -- I've found lately that at least on hotel websites, AAA rates are often MORE than the regular rates. I noticed this at Marriott and Sheraton sites.
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:10 AM
jd

I've had good luck with Lodging.com.