Search

NY Weather

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY Weather

The ten day forecast is certainly causing a dilema for this over-packer. We are leaving Sunday for two weeks in Manhattan and I have both warm weather and rainy weather clothing and shoes waiting to be packed.

The temps seem warm enough to this San Franciscian, but I was wondering if the current showers last very long and are particulary heavy, as showers go?

We plan to do a lot of walking. Of course we will carry umbrellas most of the time, and probably a pair of closed shoes as well as the great Clark's walking sandals that I always wearing during the day.

Old May 17th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Dress in layers. You'll see temperatures get as high at the high 70s during the day and as low as the 40s at night. Yes, bring the umbrella.
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:26 AM

You just never know. Headed for NYC last month with similar forecast. One day rained all day, next day while we were indoors at lunch, next day was bright and sunny even though forecast was for scattered showers.
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:48 AM

Yesterday we had a fire in the fireplace, this morning the heat is on.
It will probably hit 70+ one day and just stay there.
The temps are similar to SF right now.
Enjoy NYC.
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:13 AM

My friends in SF always freak out when I tell them it's raining in NYC. They tell me when the rains come to SF, it rains and rains for days. This happens occasionally in NYC, but usually it rains one day and is done, maybe even done the same day with a sunny afternoon. Really heavy rain does not last a long time, but it could rain lightly, or off and on, for a day.
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:23 AM

"I have both warm weather and rainy weather clothing and shoes waiting to be packed."

This is the hallmark of the overpacker -- there really shouldn't be very much difference between these two groups of items. If you will be in NY for two weeks, you will surely encounter both types of weather.

So bring two pairs of shoes -- a closed pair and your faithful Clark's -- plus a rainproof jacket (also good for fair-weather outings in windy locations, like on the water, and on cold days with another insulating layer underneath), a warm layer that can go under the waterproof layer (almost any sweater is fine), and a small umbrella (or buy one as a souvenir).

Then you'll be ready for anything -- just check the weather forecast each morning and take or leave your raingear as indicated!
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Nina honey, bring just a few outfits and buy what you need here
See, Scarlett always has the best ideas~
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:50 AM

Scarlett, I normally agree with you 100% but if Nina needs to buy warmer clothes she may have a hard time finding them in the store right now I'd bring "transitional" clothes-probably most of what you have for SF- and a few lighter things if the temps warm up.
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett, excellent suggestion. I love to shop, but.. I am not even 5' tall, so _everything_ has to be shortened, including tops and sleeves..

Not to worry, there are so many wonderful things to shop for when traveling, that my luggage always comes home heavier, and we make 'donations' to UPS too.

Two pairs of shoes for two weeks, I don't think so. Besides, it not good to wear the same shoes every day. (If this theory is not true, I don't want to hear about it!)

Old May 17th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Two pairs of shoes is certainly not the same as wearing the same pair every day, each pair would alternate days! I wouldn't dream of giving up precious suitcase space for more than one spare pair.