What to pack??Help!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Michelle

What to pack??Help!

I'm leaving for Maui September 3 and will be going to Kauai as well. I have no idea what to pack (fyi, I'm always cold!).
First of all, do I need actual hiking shoes for the Naapali Coast, etc.? Or will tennis shoes suffice? Sundresses okay or will I need pants and sweaters? I really am clueless but I need to pack tonight....

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Abby

Weather is warm but the air conditioning is always cold. So bring 1 or 2 cotton sweaters. I walked the coast in my Keds. Sundresses for the day and warm evenings, but light weight pants are warmer. Remember, you will be in the United States and you can buy t-shirts and socks and sweats there if needed. The Gap is everywhere. Same with Wal-Mart. Leave the gloves at home. Have a wonderful time. Hawaii is beautiful....I am jealous.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:24 PM
nina

Don't forget the sunblock!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:29 PM
da kine

For hiking boots it depends how far you'll hike. If you just doing an hour or two sneakers are fine. Hiking boots would be better for long hikes especially if it's sprinkling or wet. It's very warm in september. bring pants for restaurants or hiking in rainforests if you want to avoid mosquito bites.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Your Mom

Michelle, you are leaving on September 3rd and packing on August 27th?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Michelle

Yes, I'm getting married out of town this weekend. Have to pack now!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Faina

Congratulations on your marriage! Have a long and happy one!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 12:23 PM
virginia

Your shoes will get REAL muddy on the Kauai trails, and it stains red. this mud can be very slippery, I'd wear something with a tread. We took old running shoes and threw them away after our last hike.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:22 PM
SEW

Michelle,

I've always taken shorts and t-shirts or Tanks for the days and I always take a couple of Sundresses for going out to dinner. If you're always cold then a sweater, but it only gets to 75 at night and the humidity is nice to warm up.

As for the hike, don't know, but I do know that Kauai is know for it's Red Dirt. It stains, so leave the brand new at home and take old ones that you will relish the red dirt reminders on.

We went horseback riding and regret not having any long pants with me, so if your so inclined they will come in handy. Also, you may want to have them on the flights as the planes are always cold once you take off.

There are really great shops in both places, and if you forget it, it's available there!!

Have a great trip. Both islands are great.