Clothing for Inca Trail hike

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Stephanie

Clothing for Inca Trail hike

We are planning to hike the Inca Trail at the end of June. I know it is cold and may rain. Boots - should be waterproof, but is goretex necessary? Any thoughts on long underwear. Should I go the expense and purchase silk? What about a rain jacket? Is goretex necessary? I assume a warm jacket is a necessity. Any help from anyone who hiked at this time would be much appreciated.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Vita

In preparation for my trip at the end of June/beginning of July, I'd also be interested in tips on what to wear.

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hiked the trail last May and I don't recall ever being cold, but then I'm Canadian. I was in shorts most the time, but had a pair of light windpants for when it rained. Also a light fleece jacket and a light windbreaker. I hauled a raincoat up the Trail and regretted it - all I really needed was one of those 2-dollar plastic raincoats (which you can easily find in Cuzco, anyway). One thing that struck me was: there I was in my $100 hiking boots and $50 fleece, while the porters wore t-shirts, shorts and torn running shoes or car-tire sandals. And they did much better than I did
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 09:27 AM

stephanie,

i don't think goretex is necessary, only some kind of waterproofing on your boots.

as for a goretex or heavier type jacket, we opted for a layering system instead. we took some long sleeve shirts, hiking socks, a fleece jacket/vest, a lightweight waterproof rain shell, convertible pants and waterproof pants that could be used if it was rainy or if you got cold. cold wasn't really a problem for us because we stayed pretty warm while hiking and when we stopped, we just threw on another layer if we got chilly.

i think a big jacket would be too bulky to carry and too much of an all or nothing proposition for temperature control. also don't forget to get a waterproof cover for your pack so the stuff inside doesn't get wet.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 01:18 PM

Best to be prepared for cold and warm weather conditions, so layering would be good. That's what I did - light, breathable top, fleece pullover, light jacket with hood. Most of the time, I got warm hiking, so I always took off my fleece. You can always buy a very cheap plastic poncho, too (helps by covering your pack, too) At night it can get cold, but never freezing. I had a long t-shirt and long light sweats and was fine.