Random- what do you wear when hiking?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're heading to New Hampshire and Vermont this weekend and plan to do some hiking in the White Mountains. I don't have any hiking boots and I really don't want to buy any for this trip. I'm assuming decent running shoes will be okay? We're both in great shape, though I tend to get coold easily. So I plan on wearing layers. Ladies, what type of "bottoms" do you wear? Jeans? Sport pants? I can't decide. The weather looks like it's in our favor, though I'm going to bring gloves and a hat just in case. I'll also have a backpack with water and our lunches. Thanks for your tips!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:58 AM

I prefer to hike in my trail running shoes and not my hiking boots (most of the time). If the trail requires a lot of boulder-hopping then I wear my hiking boots for extra stability.

For cool weather hiking, I wear a pair of running pants (not nylon and shiny and not tight like tights). My pants are the Eureka pants at www.titlenine.com

I really like them for hiking and cross country skiing. I wouldn't wear jeans because if they get wet, they won't dry quickly.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:08 AM

I also wear a trail running shoe most of the time- but depending on the trail running shoes could work.
I never wear jeans - if its cool I wear a light weight sport pant made by SportHill - my legs dont usually get very cold as long as I am walking.

On top I usually layer, have a top that wicks away moisture and keeps you dry-
may wear a fleece vest over that .

I dont like wearing hats either but if its cool I will wear a headband to keep ears warm .

Enjoy- sounds fun
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Okay good, it sounds like I'll be in good shape clothing wise! I used to train for marathons, so it sounds like something I would have worn for a long winter run will be perfect. Though I may need to go out and get some super cute new pants
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Absolutely- a cute pair of pants is essential!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM

for hiking from your car to the outlet stores good firm hiking shoes are needed, Stop by Pete L's boot boutique in N. Conway for a quick custom fit. you will be on your way in no time.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

In that case I better start the finger stretching since I'll be signing those CC receipts left and right! AA miles- bring them on!!!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:49 AM

But it will be worth it all to look cute on the trail - and pre and post hiking activities
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM
OO

I've never worn my hiking boots in the east, only the southwest. You'll be fine with running shoes.

For pants though, I'd go with real hiking pants and certainly not jeans which are stiff and slow to dry if you get wet. My all time favorite hiking pants are by Ex-Officio...light weight but oddly have kept me warm even in Utah Thanksgiving week. They zip off at the knee...fabulous extra! Like you, I get cold very very easily, but as you are expending a bunch of energy hiking, you heat up fast. More often than not (and most of our extended hikes are Thanksgiving weeks so cold) I'll zip off the lower portion of the leg and stow them in the day pack midway through our hike. There's a ankle zipper as well, allowing you to get them off even over the clunkiest hiking boots. Just found them on-line.. http://tinyurl.com/g5gxq I love mine!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM

In cool weather, just just hike in jeans. But then I am not the type to get excited about the prospect of going and buying some "super cute new pants". If that appeals to you, then by all means - go shopping. I would rather the clothes I need just magically be in my closet.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Ack - I should learn to proof-read. That should be "I just" rather than "just just" - LOL.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:26 AM

http://www.raggedmountain.com/categories.php?cat=171
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:36 AM

I like micro fiber pants with lots of pockets and a band around the ankle so my pant bottoms don't tangle or ride up. They're light and have enough give if your trucking up hills. I wear light hikers that have some traction and can double as walking or cross training shoes. Running shoes should be ok unless your on rugged or uneven terrain.
I get most of my stuff on sale at REI.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I never wear jeans. I have several pairs of hiking pants, like what OO described. I also always wear boots...Lowas, specifically. I have a low pair for places that I don't need the ankle support. The Lowas are VERY comfy for me, even from day one. I mention this only in case you decide to check out shoes/boots for this trip. Otherwise, it sounds like what you have will be fine. Enjoy!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM
OO

My husband's are Lowas too mms, and comfortable right out of the box like yours. Mine are One Sport...likewise comfortable and have saved me many a twisted ankle, especially in rubble.

If you decide on hiking boots TXgalinGA, be sure to go to someone who knows how to fit properly. REI has a little ramp you walk down, which has probably saved many a hiker from sore toes when they find their feet slip forward in the boot on an incline, even if they seem not to slip at all walking on a flat surface!!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:14 PM

OO--A friend turned me onto the Lowa's about 6 years ago. Since then, I have turned our entire family onto them, as well as several friends. My husband wants to try their climbing boots, but even REI has to order them. And climbing is not when you want to find out if they fit you well or not, lol!

Ironically, I just got the sale flier from REI today. The sale goes from October 6th to the 15th. Of course the online outlet is a great place to shop too.

The guys are climbing up in WA this weekend, and one who used to live by us is needing his REI fix. So that is on the agends before their hit Rainier, lol!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM

I have been hiking in a LOWA boot for just over two years. I really like the fit and support. I do a lot of hiking and always wear boots unless I step in a creek and have to switch to my trail runners.