Reload this Page >

Any tips on visit to Boston & NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Candy

I am heading to Boston on Aug 31 for 3 days then heading to NYC. I have read extensively on what I should do. I would appreciate some quick comments on what people actually did etc for both Boston and NYC given the time frame in both cities. Thanks...!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Hmm

Please respost when you've decided what YOU think you want to do and include "the time frame" for NYC. What are quick comments?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:11 PM
candy

Okay Hmmm...I will clarify. Hubby and I plan: On sunday, Boston, freedom trail, fanheuil market, beacon hill and anything along the way. Monday will be the New England Aquarium and the harbour. Tues, Cape Cod..for 4 hours...don't know where to go there. NYC we plan to do the times sq, central park, cruise to staten island, broadway show..over the course of 3 days! Thanks..Please provide any tips as to what else I should do, or the best times to do what. Thanks.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Ann

Candy, by Cape Cod 4 hours, what exactly do you mean? Are you driving to NYC via Cape Cod? If not, why even bother? It will take you at least an hour to get onto the Cape, and more than that to get to anything you'd want to see. Time would be better spent in Boston. YOu haven't allowed any time to walk along Newbury St., the Public Garden, Common, see the Museum of Fine Arts, visit Filene's Basement (the original!), or anything else in town. I'd skip the CC trip and enjoy Boston.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Melanie

Candy, Candy, Candy!

You're packing in too much on Sunday. The Freedom Trail alone is 3.5 miles of walking if you do the whole thing. If you want to stop in and look at any of the buildings, that's gonna take another 45 minutes or so. At Faneuil Hall, you'll probably want to do lunch at Quincy Market, so that's at least 20 minutes of strolling the hall to see what stall you want to lunch from. Beacon Hill will take up another hour or two if you skip the shopping on Charles Street. The Aquarium is at least 2 hours as well. Keep in mind that on Sunday things run from 12-5 as well. Pace yourself!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:38 AM
gc

4 hrs maximun won't cut it for the Cape. You need to give it a whole day.

I assume you're going to NYC on Tuesday nite...yes/no?

One suggestion...leave Boston early Tues....drive to Buzzard's Bay/Sandwich and take the Cape Cod Railway to Hyannis and back.

http://www.capetrain.com/scenic/

When you're done, you can then drive to NYC, or stay at Mohegan Sun (if that's your thing) or maybe Mystic Seaport and leave for NYC in the morning.

Where is this adventure starting?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:03 PM
candy

Wow..thanks..you guys are a BIG help all of you...and yeah maybe I am overzealous trying to do too much.you have opened my eyes. I am going to take ALL comments into consideration AND welcome more if you want. You
Boston folks are AWESOME! and for those who are non-bostonian...hats off to you!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Carol

Dear Candy,
Glad to hear you are coming to Boston and also want to see Cape Cod. You've gotten some good advice from others. Some additions (especially since our weather isn't looking too good for Sunday/Monday):

Museum of Science (we prefer it to the Aquarium)
Aquarium's new IMAX theatre (3D)--just went and it's great
Swan boats in the Public Garden (if it isn't raining)
Duck Boat tours -- very touristy but unusual and a great way to see the city and Charles River. Not perfectly accurate but all our out-of-town visitors love it.
Freedom Trail -- maybe limit yourself to the Boston Common to North End section. Forget Charlestown, although I lived there for 8 years, love it, etc. but it will add quite a bit on to your tour.

For eating, try a restaurant in the North End (our Italian section). Lunch at Faneuil will be fine but not spectacular. Check out Boston.com for reviews and ideas by neighborhood.

For the Cape, I would suggest a visit to Sandwich which is close and quaint. Many of us think Hyannis has a lot to offer but won't show you the real old time Cape. The towns along Route 6A (like Yarmouthport) are charming.

Hope that's helpful.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:47 PM
candy

Thanks Carol for those wonderful tips..gosh I hope the weather is not too bad..but I have no control over that. MANY THANKS.